Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I inherited 3 betta fish about a month ago in 3 separate tanks. I started feeding them live food and after several days noticed odd behavior between 2 of them in tanks next to eachother. After doing a research I realized they are ready for breeding, so I created a breeding container and after 24 hours male made a big nest. I released female but he appeared too aggressive so I put her back in her tank. It seemed like he was ripping her fins apart.

Please see below pictures of the couple and tell me your opinion. Maybe those are the species not to be mixed.. Thank you!

Pinterest link for photos

20200415_114811.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgive me If I am wrong, but those are two males! 🤣😂😅 You can't breed males, besides being very incompatible male betta fish FIGHT with other males.
Now that explains a lot 🤣 I wasn't sure because red's head looks way smaller and pointy. Ok, back to their original tanks then 😁 thanks!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yup, those are (almost certainly) two males. There are some females with long "male type" fins but they are not common, so it's much more likely that you have another male in that jar.

Definitely put them back in their separate tanks, and since it sounds like they are constantly flaring at each other, put a piece of paper between the tanks to block their view. Some bettas will chill out and ignore another male in the tank next door (especially if their own tank is large and has plenty of plants to break up their sight-lines), but others won't and constant stress can lead to illness.

Additionally, I would highly encourage you to do a lot of research before attempting to breed if you decide to try again in the future. It's fairly easy to get the spawning itself to go right, but then you have to care for what can be several hundred fry which are all very delicate and need particular care for them to make it to adulthood, let alone to be healthy along the way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not sure if this is a joke, but those are 2 male bettas. It's alright, everyone makes mistakes, I started caring for betta fish at age 8, I had 2, each with their own 2 gallon. I didn't bother purchasing pellets because my little child brain thought: "I don't need pellets, I'll feed him some fruit snacks!" And so I fed one of them a fruit snack when I got home and he died. I went back out, bought some fish food, and took care of the one I had left, he lived for 2 1/2 years under my care and he passed away one day, no signs of illness so he most likely lived out his life in full.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UYes
Yup, those are (almost certainly) two males. There are some females with long "male type" fins but they are not common, so it's much more likely that you have another male in that jar.

Definitely put them back in their separate tanks, and since it sounds like they are constantly flaring at each other, put a piece of paper between the tanks to block their view. Some bettas will chill out and ignore another male in the tank next door (especially if their own tank is large and has plenty of plants to break up their sight-lines), but others won't and constant stress can lead to illness.

Additionally, I would highly encourage you to do a lot of research before attempting to breed if you decide to try again in the future. It's fairly easy to get the spawning itself to go right, but then you have to care for what can be several hundred fry which are all very delicate and need particular care for them to make it to adulthood, let alone to be healthy along the way.
Yes, I moved plants to block their view and they seem calmer now. Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts