Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have been trying to cycle my tank for about a month now, maybe a bit more. So far, there's been no change. I've stopped testing my water every day (tiresome) and have been doing 25-50% changes daily. My tank is 5 gallon, sponge filtered, heated.

My question is, am i changing the water too much? could THAT be inhibiting my cycle? I'm just at a bit of a loss. No nitrites, certainly no nitrates, ammonia but not a whole lot. Usually i change it "just to be safe" but it never looks above .25.

·
Registered
137 Posts
if it isnt going over .25ppm then ur good, thats where you want it. You can even stretch it a day between water changes as long as it doesnt go over.25 you can add extra PRIME on the off day to keep your betta safe. When i cycled i did fish-in and 50% water changes every other day until ammonia stayed @ 0ppm. Are you using and BB starters, such as Tetra "safe start" or Nitromax? (not that its needed but they certainly help, and they are cheap)

http://www.petsupplies.com/item/tropical-science-nitromax-marine-bacteria/721644/

http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-77961-SafeStart-3-38-Ounce-gallons/dp/B002DZG1BW

:devil:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey guys,

I have been trying to cycle my tank for about a month now, maybe a bit more. So far, there's been no change. I've stopped testing my water every day (tiresome) and have been doing 25-50% changes daily. My tank is 5 gallon, sponge filtered, heated.

My question is, am i changing the water too much? could THAT be inhibiting my cycle? I'm just at a bit of a loss. No nitrites, certainly no nitrates, ammonia but not a whole lot. Usually i change it "just to be safe" but it never looks above .25.
you will however NEED this to keep your guy safe durring the process (most everyone here will agree). You can get it at most Petco and Petsmart locations. or any LFS really

http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-11604...&qid=1399388322&sr=8-2&keywords=seachem+prime

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Hey guys,

Can you tell us what your pH is? I assume stock is one betta. Do you have live plants? Whats your cleaning regimen?

The more frequently you change the water the longer the cycle takes to complete, yet keeping the ammonia level down is required for maintaining the health of the fish. It's a balancing act. For most people, the health of the fish trumps speed of cycling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts