Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 82
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No (although the new filter has a aeration system on the bottom of it, nothing too strong)
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Wardley (his previous owner used these)
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Usually once a month as a treat, usually bloodworms. Omega One Betta Treat Bloodworms
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Daily, 2 pellets. On the days he gets freeze food, he only gets one worm.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dip out
What additives do you use? Aquasafe (tap water conditioner), Tetra EasyBalance (PH and Aklalinity regulator), and Tetra BettaSafe, a tiny tiny bit of aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: safe (the tester kit at home I use doesn't give numbers..)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.8
Hardness (GH): 0
Alkalinity (KH): 300
I live in an area where the water is notoriously terrible.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? A few weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? He is losing a bit of color- the black spot on his back used to be white and a lump. I don't have any good pictures of him before the change.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He is a bit more lethargic, but not alarmingly. I did a water change earlier, and he wouldn't move- so I did another water change, and he is back to swimming around happily
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
No (pet store told me to try removing the salt, but i don't use that much anyhow)
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
Yes (he had fin rot a few months ago)
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
3 months. I don't know.

I don't know if the lump on his back is cancer or from him being cold. I have never owned a Betta before, and I am trying my best to keep him living. I know they usually live 2-5 years, and I would like him to make it that long. Francis is 1.5 years old at the moment. He suffered from fin rot a few months ago, before he was in my care. His previous owner used Pimafix to help out. I've only just learned this stuff isn't the best in the world to use.
A friend of mine was worried about his discoloration and how his front fins look. I wish I knew how he looked before I took him in. I don't know if he always looked this way. I do know the color loss is newer. I figured that was because he was getting old, and has had a hard life with all his illnesses.
I really don't know what to do. Two different pet stores told me two different possibilities- so I figured I would come to this forum, where everyone owns Bettas. I can take more pictures, if needed. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
808 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
One of my males has a similar bump. Mine has had it since the beginning of summer and it hasn't affected him too much. He had some swim bladder issues a couple weeks ago, but I am not sure if it is related or not. It definitely looks like a tumor to me, but there is no way, that I know of, to tell if it is cancerous or not without samples and testing.
You could try cutting the salt, it won't help with a tumor, but bettas shouldn't be on in salt too long if I remember right. I treat my guy with StressGuard every once in a while to keep his slime coat up. His tumor has spread some over the last few months, but not too bad. My boy is almost a year old (about 11 months).

·
Registered
123 Posts
You can do a low dose of salt constantly like a maintenance dose. BUT you must watch it carefully! My 3 gallon tank I try to keep around 0.3 TSP because my betta is a biter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts