Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hi,

Sounds like you are going through a mini cycle, but it could be something else.

Long finned bettas will sometimes have curling fins as they age. Could you post a pic?

What are you using to test your water with - test strips or API freshwater test kit? Expiration dates of products?

Have you tested your source water to see what the parameters are for it?

Water changes and Prime are the best things to do for mini cycles.

These are just thoughts. Floating plants can help with water issues. Also, I really recommend that water changes be done weekly once you get everything sorted. Pristine water defends against a multitude of illnesses.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
That is one stunning betta boy!!! He is just gorgeous!!!

His fins look fine. With fins that long, you can expect some curling and maybe the occasional tearing, too. It just comes with the territory with feather/rose tail bettas.

I have had a mini cycle last for almost 6 weeks, but that was after a major hurricane and power loss for 8 days.

It is a mystery, that is for sure. Your husbandry sounds spot on, and the Prime should protect your betta from the low level ammonia/nitrites. I would think that it should be getting back to normal by now.

I'm sorry I can't give you more help. I've never used Stability before, but have used Tetra Safe Start Plus. I find that using bottled bacteria is really hit or miss. I would just keep doing the small water changes and using the Prime. The cycle will straighten out eventually - it has to.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts