Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I need some help, I'm new on here so I apologize if I do this wrong or are asking a repetitive question but I have had no luck in my endless searches to diagnose my poor fish Maxxy. I guess I'll start by filling this out:

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Air stone
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets and occasionally frozen bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets in the morning and 3 at night, or vice versa

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Usually about every 4-5 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Have not tested

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Pale/dull in color, possible black edges on fins but not 100% sure
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He was a very active and interactive fish and has recently become extremely lethargic in the last week and will not eat
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Within the last week, can't think of a specific event that may have triggered it
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have been changing his water about every two days and treating with Bettafix. Have also tried feeding him a small portion of a pea in case of constipation.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have only had him for three weeks to a month so I would guess less than a year

I have checked his symptoms as best I could but was unable to pin point a cause that matched them all. I have been wanting to get him a bigger tank but am at college and have not got the space of money yet. Hopefully soon though. It's is so sad watching him behave as he is.. he was in the process of learning a few tricks and doing so well and was so friendly! Now nothing.. he won't even come out of hiding when I near his tank anymore. Sometimes he will dart toward the surface for air but then return to rest in his log ornament or at the back of the tank behind a plant and airstone.

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Fin rot, and possible other things, does it look like his skin is peeling, or has he got any white spots?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
It does sound like fin rot, usually keeping the water clean and changing it every day can fix that. Also you can use 1 tablespoon of Aquarium salt per gallon to treat. Make sure the salt is completely dissolved in the water before adding it.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Oh...i usually just dump my salt in , but id go with Lady on this...
And do a 100% water change. every day

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies everyone! Fin rot is definitely something I had considered. I will continue to change the water everyday I was just worried if it would stress him out too much? Taking him out of the tank that often. I'm I likely to find aquarium salt at my local pet store?

·
Banned
9,614 Posts
I would reccomend a 50 percent every 3 days but for now do everyday water changes.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Stop using bettafix. I am really don't recommend to use this product at all.
Just want to make sure he is not bloated.
You wrote that he is darting. Is it also looks like he goes to the surface and gasping for air? Is he still darting? Is it also looks like he trying to rub his body on objects? Is it looks like his body sprinkle with salt or any white spots on the body.
Lady is right if it just fin rot (mild case) usually frequent water changes can fix the problem, but in his case when he is lethargic and stopped eating, it is not an option, and 1 tsp/gall not going to help i would do minimum of 2 tsp/gall of the aquarium salt with daily 100% water changes. If you can find stress coat or Kardon Fish protector would helps add to the water.
Pre mix salt in one gall jug or if you don't have one gall use a container make sure it dissolved.

When you do 100% water changes make sure you acclimate him then he will not be stressed. Just keep him in his changing cup and add a little bit of new premix dechlorinated salt water let him sit for 5 min then do it for about 3 times this way he will get used to new chemistry/temperature.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
The nitrites/nitrates/ammonia may be high also, if he is darting....

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
The nitrites/nitrates/ammonia may be high also, if he is darting....

yes but with those water changes 100% i don't think so, unless he has ammonia in his tap water, which is happened. I would think go to the pet store and check your water. Meanwhile look at him and try to see if he has all those symptoms that we asking about. Give us update. Infinitely buy aquarium salt.
I also read that PRIME is the best to use if you have ammonia in the water. So if you can buy PRIME by Seachem.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Seems that PRIME conditioner one of the best that removes any heaby metals , stabilizes the pH but i also spoke to someone on this forum who has ammonia in her water and she told me that PRIME one of the conditioners that really helps with this issue.

Well we don't know what is the problem with kimbooffmarz fish though. It can be completely different issue though, but differently testing the water in the store firs option.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Because i put a post instead of quote. So i changed it...
Also about PRIME
The best thing to do is to use Seachem Prime. It changes ammonia to ammonium which is the less dangerous of both. It only lasts about two days though so that is why it is very important to do two different water changes a week. There are other solutions such as getting plants that help reduce the ammonia but I think Prime is the best way of quickly doing it

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
i have a marimo, one doens't work by itself, you need many....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can I ask why not to use Bettafix? Not because I don't trust your opinion, just because I am interested. :)

I have not been able to notice any bloating, that was the first thing I looked for. His stomach looks a bit darker than normal but it seems to have just been because of his color loss.

I wouldn't say he is gasping for air at the top, but any time he does go up (sometimes he seems to be triggered by me being around the tank/taking the lid off) he just seems very quick to the top, takes a quick breath and goes back to the bottom. He is not at the surface very often, which is also very unusual for him.

He has not been rubbing against anything and I haven't noticed any kind of bumps, spots, or dust on his body. He has had a very light and shiny blue spot on one side since i got him, has not grown or changed since so I figured it was just an odd pigmentation. I will post a picture of him at a healthy stage where you can see what I mean.

I bought some aquarium salt today, the box said to add 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water which worked out to just over half a teaspoon for my tank (3ml). I know you had all recommended more but I wasn't sure if there was a brand specific limit to it at all so thought I would double check with you, should I add more?

I did see stress coat while i was out for the salt, and would have grabbed some had I known bettafix was not ideal before now!

I do acclimate him well and slowly when i do the water changes, I just feel like scooping him out of his tank every day must not be pleasant for him (maybe I'm just over sensitive?)

I considered ammonia poisoning as well but I haven't noticed any sort of inflammation around his gills or anywhere else. I guess getting my water tested will be my next step if the salt and everything doesn't work.

P.S. after looking at some old pictures of him I am quite convinced of fin rot though he doesn't come out now enough for me to see much of his fins, they were gorgeous back then.. not sure whether it's fin rot or just him looking sick in general...

Spot pics:

And this is all I see of him now at best... :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh ya, one more quick question! I am beginning to worry about Max's non-eating.. I know Bettas can go a while without food but am wondering if I should keep trying to offer him food? I have tried a couple times to drop a pellet near him with a baster.. once he bit at it but spit it back out and swam away. Should I just leave him to eat when he's feeling better, how long could that take? Or should I maybe try offering him something more appealing like a bloodworm?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts