Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Note: My betta (his name is Sushi) is not acting sick at all. He's his usual self, swimming around, puffing up when new people put their face close to his tank. Swimming towards me when I look at him, etc. But in the past week or two I've noticed some white patches on his fins that seem to be on the same spot on either side... They're definitely not Ick and they're not fluffy/cloudy like other funguses. I went to the pet store and the person agreed it was neither of those and recommended API Melafix for Freshwater (on backorder so I haven't treated with it yet), though she also couldn't identify it. I did put some aquarium salt in the tank at the recommended dosage, but that hasn't changed anything either. He is 3 yo, could these be age spots or tumors or cysts?
Pictures included, I turned off the light to try to get less of a glare.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 3.7
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 71/72 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Previously a snail, most recently a shrimp that I think he might have eaten since I can’t find the shrimp for a week now… Also, the spots pre-date the shrimp

Food:
What food brand do you use? Wardley & Aqueon
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Usually pellets (Wardley) the occasional Aqueon dehydrated blood worm to diversify his diet
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? every other day, ~7 pellets. Occasionally a blood worm on off days to mix up the routine

Maintenance:
Before*your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every 2-3 weeks 20% water change. 50% every other month
What percentage of water did you change? 20% or 50% on off months
What is the source of your water? Tap, treated with conditioner
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum the substrate with a siphon
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? API Stress Coat+ (dechlorinator)

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: The test kit I have doesn’t check for this but I can get this number from the pet store.
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.5-/7.0
Hardness (GH): 60
Alkalinity (KH): 40

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? One and a half weeks ago, before I did a 50% change
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Yes he has white patches on his fin on either side.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Not at all. Still his usual self.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Added aquarium salt to the tank, in the recommended values
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Nope
How long have you owned your Betta? 3 years
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Nope

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,813 Posts
That looks exactly like what my blue veiltail, Bruiser, got on his fins and I never have figured out what in the world it is. It has not hurt his quality of life, the tumor is doing that, and never got worse. I tried medicine, I even tried a UV Sterilizer, but nothing has made it go away. He was around a year 1/2 old when I first noticed it, and while it did get a little bigger it's been stable for months.

Here's 3 pictures of him, the first is when I first notice it back in April of last year , the second is from Oct which is also around when I first noticed the tumor. The third is from today, I'm sorry that the quality isn't better but he's not feeling good and not moving much, the tumor is getting the better of him :crying:

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts