Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm posting in this catagory because I want to figure out if there is anything wrong with my set-up. I recently bought a gold Mystery snail to help with algae control in my 5 gallon cycled tank. I had him only for a few days and acclimated him over the course of a few hours (trying to be very gentle) and he was active and I could see a slight decreased in algae. I also supplimented with half a small algae wafer at a time and only added more if the first one was gone. Then all of a sudden he just stopped moving and was dead after about a day. Am I doing anything wrong? I had just did a large PWC before adding him to the tank and since it's cycled I keep my parameters in check fairly easily. The water here is fairly hard, but that isn't bad for snails. I do have one male betta in the tank, and he mostly left the snail alone. The tank is filtered (obviously) and heated, with a mix of live and silk plants. Anyone have any idea as to what I'm doing wrong?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have a snail that I just added to my tank (he was added with the plants and shrimp and fish are next). He was running around a bunch the first day and then less today (I think the kids in the classroom freak him out).

Doing research I found that they need to get to the top of the tank to breath. Is your tank filled up to the top or is there breathing room?? Also, are you sure he's dead? Silly question but mine looks dead when he hides from the kids and then has moved when we come back from recess, lunch etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Judging by his smell, he's certainly dead. I had a nerite in the past and had terrible luck with him as well (different set up) and have since become all too familiar with the fragrance of dead snail. There's room for air at the top of the tank, and leaves to rest on. Sometimes mystery snails will simply go dormant for a while; yours might be doing that. I really don't know what killed him.

·
Registered
131 Posts
That's too bad. I'm new to keeping snails so that's all the advice I've got. Good to know mine could just be dormant. I'd hate to go into work tomorrow and find him dead. I've grown attached to him already, he's got such an adventurous personality from what I've seen so far!

I hope someone else on here is able to help! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
You might try a tougher type of snail like Malaysian trumphet snails they can endure almost anything but you won't see them much during the daytime. If it's small tank you only need a few.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
how long has your tank been cycled?

I don't recommend putting mystery snails in anything under 10 gallons because they grow to size of golfballs.

+1 to the above, try MTS.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello! Sorry for not getting back sooner. I have been cycling the tank roughly since this past semester started (aka when I moved back into school) and midterms have just about ended so... roughly two months? I'm guessing that my tank wasn't established enough to have a mystery snail as they are pretty sensitive. Would a Malaysian trumpet snail do ok in a new(ish)ly cycled tank or would I do better to wait for another couple months?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
is your tank fully cycled or still cycling?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts