Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last month and a half I've lost a entire snail, a mystery snail, and three ghost shrimp. All of which I had had under a year. Mystery snail 8 months, shrimp and merits 3-4months. In the last week and a half I lost all three of my ghost shrimp, but haven't done any water water changes recently. I did a total swap about a month ago because I was traveling with my animals. Tested levels are attached in the photo as of this afternoon. None of the animals showed signs of injury, so I don't think my other animals attacked them, but they live with one male betta and two African dwarf frogs in a live planted 5 gallon with a heater and filter. I've read that they're sensitive to copper, but I can't imagine that's what did this because none of them died right after a water change. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm using them for algae control because my tank gets a lot of light.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

1. The tank is way too small to have all of those critters.
2. Nitrate is too high for shrimp. It should be really close to 0ppm.
3. I don't know about AFD, but betta would attack shrimp. They usually do when people are not around... Sharing a tank with a predator (=betta) is already a lot of stress for shrimp.

·
Super Moderator
19,245 Posts
Yes, copper is deadly for shrimp; however, anything other than perfect parameters will kill them, too. While the ADF and Betta can tolerate your Nitrate levels the shrimp cannot. What are your Ammonia readings? It is the most important parameter, IMO. Your Nitrate reading indicates an abundance of waste which needs to be addressed. Weekly 25% to 50% water changes are a must with that many critters in a five.

Can you post a photo of the tank? Success with shrimp living with a Betta depends on 1) the temperament of the Betta; 2) how heavily planted; and, 3) 0ppm Ammonia and Nitrite and under 10ppm Nitrate.

·
Super Moderator
19,245 Posts
You don't have enough cover to keep shrimp from becoming stressed. They need a heavily-planted tank and places to hide when they molt where the Betta can't reach.

I don't know what you mean by "professional" but anyone who thinks 40-80ppm Nitrate is "safe" for shrimp has a lot more to learn. As I said above, the only truly safe parameters are 0ppm Ammonia and Nitrite and under 10ppm Nitrate.

What is your Ammonia reading, do you know?

To show you appropriate planting for success with a Betta and shrimp:

April282015j.jpg

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts