Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 gallon tank with a long and two Java ferns, gravel in the bottom and a low flow beta filter at the top. When I got Berry he was super stressed with clamped fins at the bottom of the tank for a few days. I treated him with the filter off for 5 days with all in one lifeguard treatment. The 6day I did a 25% water change and he has been acting normal, eating, blowing bubbles and swimming around fine. The ammonia is 0, nitrates and nitrates are 0. But his fins still look a little off to me. I know he had a mild case of fin rot before I treated him on the 16th. But I’m not sure if the lifeguard healed him up and what would others suggest? I have one photo labeled from March 16 when he had his fin rot vs two from today.

·
Registered
Akila, Atticus and Prince
919 Posts
For the last picture, it looks like fin nipping, and not fin rot. As you can see in the third picture, they look like the chunks are bitten out, and there are smooth edges. In the first picture, it looks like there is a clear membrane growing, which means that his fins are growing back. When were these photos taken?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the last picture, it looks like fin nipping, and not fin rot. As you can see in the third picture, they look like the chunks are bitten out, and there are smooth edges. In the first picture, it looks like there is a clear membrane growing, which means that his fins are growing back. When were these photos taken?
Thankyou so so much for the help! All the photos not marked were taken just this morning.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes Small beta flow
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No (real plants?)
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? None

Food:
What food brand do you use? BettaMin small pellets
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2 times a day 2 pellets

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 20%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vaccum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Just stress coat plus

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.5
Hardness (GH): 75
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Since I got him
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? His fins are a little concerning
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? After the treatment he seems fine swimming eating and blowing bubbles. Just fin concern.
Is your Betta still eating? Eating much more
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Finishes an all in one lifeguard treatment about a week ago.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Since I got him.
How long have you owned your Betta? About a month.
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Yes

·
Super Moderator
1,464 Posts
So it is thought by many that the more open a tank is the more likely they are to bite. You may want to get a fe more plants, maybe some floating ones to give him some more cover. You could also get some hornwort and anchor it in the corner and let it float over the top.
Sometimes we never figure out why they bite. But most of the time it’s stress related. I have two that do and I can’t get them to stop. I always keep Indian almond leaf in my biters tanks. It has anti bacterial and and fungal properties and it also calms them. Hope that helps!

·
Super Moderator
1,464 Posts
It is safe to keep it in there 24/7 no extra water changes necessary. However, You may want to up the water changes to 25% twice weekly to prevent infection. The darker the water the more beneficial but it’s a bit of a personal preference. You can boil some and make a tea out of it. Make sure it’s cool and you have treated the water with conditioner before you pour it in. I usually make a tea if either of mine have had a bad biting episode. I keep the tank dark for a week or so and then slowly make it lighter with water changes. I use very large leaves so their tanks always have a watered down tea look to them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is safe to keep it in there 24/7 no extra water changes necessary. However, You may want to up the water changes to 25% twice weekly to prevent infection. The darker the water the more beneficial but it’s a bit of a personal preference. You can boil some and make a tea out of it. Make sure it’s cool and you have treated the water with conditioner before you pour it in. I usually make a tea if either of mine have had a bad biting episode. I keep the tank dark for a week or so and then slowly make it lighter with water changes. I use very large leaves so their tanks always have a watered down tea look to them.
This is wonderful advice! Thabkyou can I ask how much tea you would recommend to make for a 5 gallon tank and if there is a proper consistency for it?

·
Super Moderator
1,464 Posts
This is wonderful advice! Thabkyou can I ask how much tea you would recommend to make for a 5 gallon tank and if there is a proper consistency for it?
When mine have a bad bite episode I make it pretty black in the cup. It should look around this colour in the tank, but if you make it darker it won’t hurt him
. If you make too much and you want to save some you can store the extra in the fridge.

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
830 Posts
Agreed with everything Sara said-just wanted to pop in and say you may switch to a higher quality food such as omega one betta buffet, new life spectrum, fluval bug bites, or northfin betta pellets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.