Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.
Wondering if anybody has experience starting a sorority and has any advice...

I've read so much about them, but everybody seems to have a different opinion. ha!

We just placed four females into the tank 48 hours ago.

We have a 10 gallon Fluval tank. I have lots of tall plants, rocks, swim thrus, hiding places (so i think).

Anyway, the first 24 hours were bliss :) Everybody loved each other.

Ever since then it's been nothing but chasing and nipping.

How long do we wait until the group settles down? Or will they?
Plant Green Terrestrial plant Organism Vegetation

Such a crazy tank. At first it was blue chasing black around the tank at full speed. Then orange and white oddly seemed to stand up for black, and told blue to settle down. not that it worked.

Now the nipper and chaser combinations change by the hour! chaos!

Anyway, i'd appreciate anybody's experience.

I mainly want to know when and if to separate them.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
An update on the sorority tank...

Very interesting to watch these girls.

I got worried about their fighting, and totally rearranged the tank. I added some cover for them so there is a bit less line of sight, more hiding spaces.

They were all fighting like crazy the first four days. Now it seems there are only two that like to go at it at times.

I sure hope that means the tank is settling.

The black betta, formerly the one being picked on, now is doing the nipping and chasing! crazy.

Fingers crossed!

·
Super Moderator
24,350 Posts
Sadly, sororities are extremely volatile and stressful. And, as a result, prone to disease. So if you even think there's an issue please ask.

I've not had a sorority but the above comes from a friend who has a had a sorority running for several years. She has a 40 gallon breeder tank. They should be so planted (75%) that there are no lines of sight or chase. She also says plants are much more important than "hides" but if using hides they need a back door so no female is trapped. I like using pieces of slate propped against the tank walls.

Good luck! When they're successful sororities are lovely.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sadly, sororities are extremely volatile and stressful. And, as a result, prone to disease. So if you even think there's an issue please ask.

I've not had a sorority but the above comes from a friend who has a had a sorority running for several years. She has a 40 gallon breeder tank. They should be so planted (75%) that there are no lines of sight or chase. She also says plants are much more important than "hides" but if using hides they need a back door so no female is trapped. I like using pieces of slate propped against the tank walls.

Good luck! When they're successful sororities are lovely.
Wow, 75% planted! i have some work to do...thx for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
24,350 Posts
You're always welcome.

Just build it up a bit at a time. You might find 50% works with your girls. Floating stem plants make good cover. Like in Puck's tank. I anchor in each back corner and let the bunches grow together. This is Hornwort; it should not be planted as it doesn't have a viable root system.
Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Natural landscape Groundcover

1 - 5 of 5 Posts