Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am learning about Catappa Leaves. I guess my main question is, for general maintenance of the tank, how long should I have one in a 10 Gallon Sorority? How long in a 5 gallon Male solo? Crumple up or leave as is? Any pointers or guidelines greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Just throw them in. They sink at the third day and break down at the third week. How many... I don't know, 3 or 4? How much do you take offense on the yellow color? 1 leaf is enough to turn my 2.6 to a very yellow color by the way.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
You can leave them in for as long as you like. I tend to leave them in my tanks until they fully break down, but other people remove them once they become soft and start to fall apart, some people before even that.

You can use as many leaves as you want. If your water is very soft, you may want to add leaves gradually, as they could potentially push the pH down and sometimes this can cause issues if it happens too quickly. But in harder water their effect is likely to be minimal.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I put the whole leaf in for my boys too,which I attach to a suction cup at the top. They all love playing under and over them. One of my boys loves building bubble nests under his IAL so I make sure his leaf just touches the top,while my other boys all prefer laying on top of them,so I place them a little lower for them.

They make great hammocks and umbrellas for them.Seems a waste to let them just sink to the bottom.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Where do you guys buy your leaves? My LFS sells them at a ridiculous price.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Where do you guys buy your leaves? My LFS sells them at a ridiculous price.
How much? Mine sells them $1/leaf, which is ridiculous. I switched to Rooibos tea. Even the most high-end brand is $5 for ~20 tea bags.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.