Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. In March I purchased a beautiful crown tailed betta. This was my first time ever owning a betta fish, so I did a bit of research before I bought him.

I got him a 1.5 gallon bowl, BetaSafe tap water conditioner ( I gave him spring water from the store however ), Hydor 7.5w Slim Heater for Bettas and Bowls, a moss ball, the stones I used were washed thoroughly, and were made for aquariums.

I cleaned out his bowl every Friday, which seemed to work well. He was a very perky fish, very attentive, would chase my finger around. One day randomly near the end of June he started becoming very lethargic. It happened very suddenly. I noticed he would no longer swim up to me when I came into the room. Instead he stayed at the bottom of the bowel and only came up for air.

This was very unlike him, and so I asked the petstore. She recommended me getting API Aquarium Salt and Tetra Parasite Guard.

He started bumping into things. Like the cord to the heater, rubbing his gills on it. He always had black gills when I got him, but they seemed more prominent now.

After giving him the salt I began doing 25% water changes every day. Fins always clamped, minimal swimming. He always had this sort of dark patch on his side, it was now becoming intensely darker and spreading. It appeared where his fins on top met his scales, and went down his side in blotches. It looked like bruising or internal bleeding to me.

I began giving him small dosages of the Tetra Parasite Guard. But he didn't seem to really be improving.

He started struggling coming up for air, so I actually lowered the water for him. It was really sad.

Today I wanted to do a 100% water change and I decided to get rid of the small rocks on the bottom too. I scooped him in a cup like a usually do with water changes, and this time he was really freaking out in the cup. I went to wash out the bowel and when I came back he had passed.

He was upside down, and I noticed a strange white string like thing coming out of his belly, not sure what that was??

I buried him in the back yard and cried a little. ;(

Feels so horrible because you can't hold, pet, or comfort a fish at all when you can see they aren't feeling well.. All you can do is watch them.

I will attach pictures of him from when I first got him. If anyone can help me know and understand what went wrong, I'd be grateful. I would love to get another betta in the future, but now I'm not so sure.

You can see the darker patch on his side in the second picture, that's how it looked when I first got him. Over time that spot became very dark and spread.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Fill this out. It will help figure out what happened to him.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on "Go Advanced" and then on the paper clip in the toolbar.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How many gallons is your tank?

Does it have a filter?
No

Does it have a heater?
Yes

What temperature is your tank?
Not sure, I assume a little warmer than room temperature.

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No

Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
No

What food brand do you use?
National Geographic Betta Flakes

Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Flakes, and occasionally blood worms

Freeze-dried?
Blood worms

How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
I would feed him the tiniest pinch of flakes when I got home from work.

Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
Once a week

What percentage of water did you change?
100%

Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
Cleaned out everything with warm water

What additives do you use?
Betta safe tap water conditioner

What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers.
I haven't tested my water. So all I can say is I bought deer park spring water and changed out the water every week, it never looked dirty. I used the recommended amount of bettasafe conditioner. Bowl was kept in a warm room, near the window.

When did you first notice the symptoms?
About a week and a half ago

How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
Dark splotches began to appear on his sides. Fins clamped.

How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Started staying in one spot on the bottom of the bowl, only came up for air, then went right back to that spot.
Very lethargic. No longer responsive when you got close to the glass.
Began rubbing up against the heater cord and rubber plant as if scratching himself.
Everything sounded like Velvet to me, however when shining a light on him I never saw gold specks.

Is your Betta still eating?
He stopped eating flakes all together.
He would however eat like two blood worms a day, although I had to use tweezers and place it right in front of him.
(he wouldn't swim over to it)

Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Started with aquarium salt. The recommended amount on the packaging. Would re-dose when I did water changes.
When this wasn't improving his condition, I began the Marineland Parasite Guard as recommended by petsmart.
Each tablet was for 10 gallons so I broke it down and gave him a conservative amount.

Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
Not that I know of. He seemed fine when I got him, full of energy.

How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
Owned him for about 4 months, he was always fine and then one day out of the blue wouldn't come up to the glass or swim around.

The photos are from when I first got him. Sorry I have none of him sick. All I can say is fins were clamped, dark red bruise like blotches on his side and on his back where his fin meets. Eyes always looked okay. Before he passed he began staying at the top of the bowl constantly.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
It could have been a combination of issues. For a 1.5 gallon bowl, 100% water changes are necessary about every other day to keep ammonia at 0. Also, not knowing the water temp is very dangerous, especially for such a small bowl. Some heaters don't have thermostats and it could get very hot very quickly. Bettas should be kept at 78-82 degrees Fahrenheit.

I'm very sorry about your loss, hopefully someone else could come along with an answer! I just figured I'd add my 2 cents in with what could've caused the problem.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,594 Posts
Sorry you lost your Betta. Unfortunately, without photos of how he looked before he died it's nearly impossible to give you sound reasons for his death. Symptoms can be the same for so many different problems. That he was eating seems to rule out any sort of parameter poisoning; however, he could be the exception.

100% water changes are extremely stressful on Betta. In a 1.5 the best way to maintain a healthy environment is 25% water changes 3x per week. Use a turkey baster to daily remove waste and leftover food. Siphoning/vacuuming is the best way to remove the water. A piece of airline tubing can work as a vacuum. When I bought mine it was $3.00 at Wal-Mart. Also, use Seachem Prime as your conditioner. In addition to using when you do water changes you add three drops on the days you don't do water changes.

Do get a thermometer so you can monitor the temperature. Going by feel is not going to work. And an API liquid Ammonia test (more bang for the buck than strips).

Clean his bowl and rocks with vinegar and hot water; rinse until the vinegar smell is gone.

When you get your new Betta you have four other things to pick up: Seachem Prime, airline tubing, thermometer and a liquid Ammonia test. If you ever upgrade tank size, PetCo has a 5.5 that they only sell in store. It's around $15.00.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the helpful replies. If I do get another betta, I will definitely get a bigger tank and the suggested supplies for cleaning / checking ammonia.

Russell, I'll look into that tank at petco. With the seachem can you use water from the sink ? Purified tap water ? Or is spring water from the store a better choice ?

Also acclimation tips for bettas ? I used to float my betta in the cup I got him in , inside the bowl before releasing him for about 10 mins. Is that long enough / safe ?

Thank you everyone !

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thank you for all the helpful replies. If I do get another betta, I will definitely get a bigger tank and the suggested supplies for cleaning / checking ammonia.

Russell, I'll look into that tank at petco. With the seachem can you use water from the sink ? Purified tap water ? Or is spring water from the store a better choice ?

Also acclimation tips for bettas ? I used to float my betta in the cup I got him in , inside the bowl before releasing him for about 10 mins. Is that long enough / safe ?

Thank you everyone !
Yes, you can use plain old tap water with prime. :) Lots of places have ammonia in the tap water, and prime deactivates that ammonia for about a day (which is why Russell suggests adding three drops in between water changes--two per gallon!--to keep the ammonia inert).

As for acclimation, I use the drip method for my betta, as it also helps them adjust to the new water parameters, versus just the temperature. But it can take a little while. <<snip>>

Reactions: Amberjp

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,594 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts