Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a lot of people have those leaf hammocks for their bettas. I just wanted to share that my roommate had one and inside the suction cup it started rusting. We only found out after there was rusty color water at the top of the tank. I would be cautious of these. She wasn't the only one that had this problem. My friend had the hammock too and she removed the suction cup and rust spilt out.

I found this thread too:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/archive/index.php/t-57831.html

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
It's actually quite easy to make one too rather than buy - for a fraction of the price. There are the plant weights (not made from metal, but is rather safe and bendeable) which you can use as a tie, a suction cup, and a metal-free leaf from dollar store plants. Soak the plant to make sure no dyes leak out, attach together and there ya go homemade, rust free ;-)

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I totally suggest making them :p so much better than "might happen" problems like karebear informed us of :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up, everyone! I have this hammock in my tank and it had rust in it since forever.At first I thought it was dirt or something but after reading this+ the link I will remove it immediately and tell petsmart about this.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
someone on here had one slice their female's stomach open. x: it's horrid, and that's why i ripped the wire out of mine. Cup used it when he'd get floaty, to stay under the water.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Yip rust is no good in a tank :eek: one of the AQUARIUM PLANTS I had was made with metal and it rusted. I removed it right when I saw rust. yuck! and someone's female got sliced open? ouch! poor thing.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't know who's smart idea it was to put material that rusts into water ornaments. I really think they just want money and nothing else these days.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
Well I also saw handmade plants. They look cool. Except I recognize the fake baby's breath flower plant and the rocks from the dollar store. Why would I pay 10.00 for something I could make WITHOUT metal in it? ;-)

which reminds me... does hot glue actually still work underwater? or is it toxic as well...?

·
Registered
531 Posts
someone on here had one slice their female's stomach open. x: it's horrid
This, rusty water is gross enough but it is very easy for the material to degrade and for the wire to just come up out of it, and then impale your betta when he/she tries to lay on it :shock:

Honestly, you could make your own, but if you want to give your betta a leaf bed and can afford it, why not just buy an anubia or something and have it close to the surface? Another thing that works great for betta beds is java ferns (Adult or baby bits doesn't matter) with a bamboo stalk (not the leafy part just the stalk). You can use the stalk to hold up the java ferns and it creates a little betta cabana right under the surface. I made one for Shiloh and he loooves it, he always has a bubblenest there now, if anyone is confused and wants a pic let me know lol

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
that's another good idea :)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This, rusty water is gross enough but it is very easy for the material to degrade and for the wire to just come up out of it, and then impale your betta when he/she tries to lay on it :shock:

Honestly, you could make your own, but if you want to give your betta a leaf bed and can afford it, why not just buy an anubia or something and have it close to the surface? Another thing that works great for betta beds is java ferns (Adult or baby bits doesn't matter) with a bamboo stalk (not the leafy part just the stalk). You can use the stalk to hold up the java ferns and it creates a little betta cabana right under the surface. I made one for Shiloh and he loooves it, he always has a bubblenest there now, if anyone is confused and wants a pic let me know lol
Pic please sounds so cute!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have 4 of these and thus far haven't had any problems with them. (I've had one for about 5 months) I inspect them at each water change, and will continue to do so. Hopefully mine won't have this issue!

Thanks for posting this though! It definitely made me more aware. :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
I stopped using the store bought leaf hammocks after I found out each one in my Betta tanks had exposed wire and one was already rusting not long after purchase.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I almost bought one of these last night. Before I purchased it thought I googled it and a few things about this issue popped up. So I was like nope...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Betta cabana
(I used two bamboo stalks for this one but there is another on the other side of the divider that I only used one for and it works/looks the same too)

·
Registered
531 Posts
what are the benefits of keeping a bamboo in an aquarium? Other than providing a resting place xD
well since it's a live plant it will filter ammonia, ect. and feed off the nasties like any other plant i'd suppose - the roots on this one have gotten a little crazy but you can easily cut them off to re-pristine the look, the only reason i haven't yet is because Shiloh seems to like playing with them lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts