Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered recently that this seems to be a big season for house centipedes. I was wondering, can bettas eat centipedes?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That makes sense. I wouldn't have fed the boys one live anyway...that would require me touching a live centipede. *shudder* Figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I would never put those unholy wicked creatures into my fishies tummies. o.o
Good choice with that :p

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
LOL I'd shudder too, not gunna lie, if I see one, I squish it. They're one of the few bugs that I cannot stand to even look at. Blech! In the movie king kong, when those giant centipedes were in the log with her, I flipped out and had to shut my eyes lmao

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Our LPS had a Vietnamese giant centipede.
They had THAT, but they never had any rhino horned beetles that I wanted :( they have such poor choice!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of my suitemates is a bug expert (i think she's a biology minor?), and has repeatedly told me they're harmless.

.....That doesn't mean I have to like them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't care if they're harmless or not, they're gross! Lol

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Our house centipedes are harmless.
The big tropical ones have a venomous "fang" at the end of each foot o.o
I saw a video of one wrapping around a snake, and that's all it did and the snake died really fast x.x

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well... Do a geography check and see what type of centipede's r from the betta's natural habitat and if the same type, I would say feed them to your betta's! The species of centipede I have here eat soil animals... I.E. Worms! Which would make them a healthy choice. Y is it when someone is scared of something they fear the postive uses of the species. People in the 1800's hated wolves. The centipede is a neccessary part of a food chain which I'm sure the betta is part of. Just chop em up if u use them. As far as poisonous ur betta will not eat them if that is the case, ants r more likely to bite and most breeds of ants r poisonous and I know of people who feed their fish them!!! And the ant doesn't carry poison it wears it!!! Just do some reading about the centipede u intend to use and use it as a snack supplement at most.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Centipede are a common food source used as a color enhancer with Red Arowanas keepers....... due to the toxins the centipede contains-this help keep the fish more red in color-never heard of them being used for Bettas....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Gd to know ofl! Ty

1 - 20 of 20 Posts