Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So right now I only have shrimp (want to add a betta at some point) in my 5 gal tank set up with a hang on filter. I want to switch the filter to a canister filter but I want to know if the shrimp will be alright with the filter change and the new filter media. Just want to keep them safe and from getting stressed.

Looking for some recommendations and advice.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
22 Posts
So right now I only have shrimp (want to add a betta at some point) in my 5 gal tank set up with a hang on filter. I want to switch the filter to a canister filter but I want to know if the shrimp will be alright with the filter change and the new filter media. Just want to keep them safe and from getting stressed.

Looking for some recommendations and advice.

Thank you in advance!
I think if you put the used filter media from your HOB filter into the canister filter to keep your beneficial bacteria, it should be fine. Keep an eye on your parameters to make sure everything stays good and do any necessary water changes if the ammonia starts to rise. Be sure to put a pre-filter sponge over the canister filter intake to make sure no shrimpies or their babies get sucked into the filter. Good luck! I love canister filters, especially in a planted tank.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!!!

Has anyone had experience with the Finnex PX 360? I set it all up and when I plugged it in all I got was a sound coming from the filter but it wasn't actually doing anything. Even if it wasn't the same filter has anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don‘t have it but these HOB filters generally all work in a similar way.

So what I would look into is:

Is there enough water filled inside before switching it on? (Otherwise fill it up all the way or slightly tilt it towards the tank until it sucks water without air.)

Does the impeller rotate when switched on?(Watch for instructions how to clean the impeller and motor - this way you can check if it is moving.)

From what you describe I would guess the second - the impeller does not rotate and might need a little "clap“ to work. Also setting it on the highest flow rate for a while sometimes helps if it is an adjustable filter.

If none of the above is getting it to function, let us know and we try some more trouble shooting.

Reactions: kengleha

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
My canister has a big red button on top to “prime” it. I have to depress the button over and over to get the water flowing into the canister. I have a marineland canister, it can be difficult for me to get it going again after I do cleaning maintenance. I might have to invest in a different brand myself. After the difficulties last time getting it to start again I googled YouTube videos to make sure I put it together right and I was priming it right lol. Good luck and happy fish keeping to you!

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you're still having problems getting your finner px 360 to prime, you can either suck on the output tube to get it going or you can fill the intake hose and then raise it up to let gravity do the work. I've had to do this before with a new Penn Plan canister filter that I couldn't get to start.

Check out this video for instruction:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help everyone!! I just needed to add more water to prime (thought I had enough). and it looks like I need to buy better tubing that doesn't kink easily.

Any suggestions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts