Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im a teen, so i don't have much money, but i would like to buy a betta fish sometime in the near future.

I was wondering what betta equipment is cheap but reliable?

Im planning to buy a 5.5 gallon aquarium. Im looking at some equipment online, and I would like your guy's opinion on it.

Here we go:

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/thermometers/grreat-choice-floating-thermometer-zid36-5203381/cat-36-catid-300077?_t=pfm%3Dcategory#RatingsDetail

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-7-5w-Heater-Mini-Aquariums-Bowls/dp/B0079G74TI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/TOP-FIN-Top-U...06&sr=1-1&keywords=Top+Fin+Undergravel+Filter

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/aquariums-stands/top-fin-5.5-gal-aquarium-starter-kit-zid36-17829/cat-36-catid-300013?var_id=36-17829

^^ I believe the tank is fine, does anyone know about the stuff that comes with it?

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you're on a budget, you might be better off just buying the 5 gallon tank and making your own sponge filter. I've had poor luck with kits, usually they just aren't quality.

They're gentler for bettas, and dirt cheap to make.
If you're not up for the DIY route, my absolute favorite is the Azoo Palm/Mignon 60 filters. They're GREAT for anything up to about 7.5g. Just get AquaClear sponge+Bioballs/Bio ceramic beads. Lasts forever.

Undergravel filters are a pain as well, not recommended.

That heater is okay, I've not personally had issues with it, but I vastly prefer my Eheim Jager models in terms of control and reliability.

Are you wanting to plant your tank with live plants?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Betta's make great pets :)
The floating thermometer looks good.
I know near to nothing about the slim heater, but it does say right on the package it is only good for up to a 5 gallon.
A hang on the back filter is used by most and is about the same price as the undergravel one. I have the same tank and hood that the Top Fin starter kit comes with and I have no complaints (although I have read complaints on the light bulb in the hood?). As for the filter that comes with it, I have heard that it's complete garbage. Before buying anything be sure to read reviews on the products as well as compare prices.

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
That tank is good, the hood, however, leaves a little to be desired. The incandescent bulbs will probably have to be replaced, but more than that, the fixture isn't sealed so eventually evaporation or heaven forbid it gets splashed with water will lead to failure. I can't tell you about the filter except what I read and that it produces a strong current and is prone to failure.

For a filter, you could do a whisper 10 air pump with a sponge filter, buying it will probably run you about $16 or $17 or you could get an IF201 from Truaqua, will run you $10 before discounts (buy this directly from truaqua).

I also prefer Eheim Jager heaters, but they're not exactly the cheapest. For a heater, you want to budget 5w per gallon, so you're probably going to want something in the 25w range.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Agreed on the hood, I do have one similar to it and you'll be paying a good penny to get proper plant growing lights as well, if that is your chosen route.

My favorite options for a top, if you're on a budget, is a DIY sliding glass top http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42194 has an easy picture guide... I hope I am allowed to post this link, if not, just do a google search - you can get cut glass for about 5-10$ total at your local Ace Hardware and sometimes other major hardware stores. The molding is even cheaper. You can place plastic or acrylic that can be cut over the part where your filters and such go in.

Lighting, especially for plants, is unfortunately not that easy. DIY options exist and are much more affordable, but my favorite is just Finnex Fugeray Planted+ lights. There is cheaper options on ebay etc, but the reason I like the LED ones is that conventional fluorescent bulbs often need to be replaced yearly due to losing strength, whereas LED last for about 40k hours.

Of course, if you don't need plants, any light will do.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
I would suggest you budget at the very least $100 for tank and supplies starting out (excluding the betta itself). A good liquid testing kit (like API Freshwater Master Test Kit) will run you about $30 on its own. A decent adjustable heater will run you $20-$30. Then you will need some silk or live plants, a bottle of good water conditioner, etc.

It is also very helpful to have some dedicated pitchers and bowls used only for the fish (never use soap on these).

Fish are not cheap pets. They take time and money, but it is worth it! You get a glimpse into totally different, alien world.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought the Tom Mini Internal Filter
it was only 15.99 on amazon. Got free shipping cos I also ordered a heater from amazon as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Internal-Filter-45gph-adjustable/dp/B00176GKM8

That's the filter and it's awesome for my betta. The spray bar can be rotated to any direction, and on the lowest setting you don't have to mcguiver anything because it's a pretty gentle flow. (but mine honestly goes where the flow is and plays in it.) It also looks pretty nice, I mean. The spray bar being above water helps break up the surface from bio film and the filter is basically silent. The spray bar also sort of makes it feel like I have a miniature silent fountain. I truly do love it. I've had it for about 3 months now and it's working just as good as when I first bought it! I have a 5.5 gallon as well so hopefully this is helpful. It's just a standard super simple glass tank. It's easy to clean, just take out the sponge and squish and swish in some separate tank water! and I'm no betta professional but my water stays pretty clear and the water conditions are always perfect (I test it weekly)!

·
Registered
Tao: Butterfly Halfmoon, Ivan: Kitty!, Firefly: TB Horse<3
2,685 Posts
Tank
I actually would suggest a 10g kit, unlike a lot of kits I've had a lot of luck with this one, I have two of these. The only problem is the bulb, it goes out in about a year or less maybe, but those are easy to replace.

http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/aq...36-catid-300065?var_id=36-16825&_t=pfm=search

I've got one of them on my beside table right now, the same filter it came with over a year ago is still running.

Heater
I agree on the adjustable heater thing, 90% of mine actually aren't adjustable but I do like the adjustables a lot more and they are more efficient.

If you get the tank I suggested, it comes with a filter so I don't think I really need to go over that xD. But if you go a different route you could make a sponge filter or get the Tetra 3i for a 5g http://www.petco.com/product/12460/...-_-Tetra Whisper Internal Power Filters-12460

May need some baffling.^

Substrate
Substrate (gravel, sand) is optional. You could have a bare bottom tank, a tank with sand, or a tank with gravel. Most beginners go with gravel or bare bottom :).

If you get gravel, please soak it in warm water first!

Decor

Bettas need decor to feel safe and secure to have a hiding spot. You really shouldn't get any of the decorations at the petstore since 99% of the time the paint bubbles and chips and ends up killing or injuring your fish. Just get plants c:!

You should get silk plants or real plants, do not get plastic or it will tear your Betta's sensitive fins. I'd suggest silk plants if you're on a budget and/or a beginner. I really like these:
http://www.petco.com/product/118944/Petco-Midground-Plant-Multi-Pack-Silk-Aquarium-Plants.aspx

I hope this helps out a little~!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've looked all over e-bay and it seems the Petsmart ones are the cheapest option. The large marimo balls online are the same or smaller than the Petsmart ones, and if you get lucky like I just did you can pick one up with 2 baby marimo balls, which by themselves sell for like $5 on ebay.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I agree with Bailmint on the tank kit. I have that exact one and just added a heater and a thermometer. With a simple water bottle baffle, it works great for my betta. Add in $10 for plant bulbs at walmart (if you have plants) and it is one of the best kits for the money and ease of getting. :) Petsmart has it on sale frequently for $30, $10 for light bulbs, $10-15 for a heater on Amazon, $20 for the test kit on Amazon, and you are sitting at $75 already and that's not including any decor. $100 is pretty realistic at setting up a tank. Best part, if you buy a 10 gallon, a simple DIY divider lets you get 2 fish with no real extra cost except for the fish. :)

·
Registered
Tao: Butterfly Halfmoon, Ivan: Kitty!, Firefly: TB Horse<3
2,685 Posts
Yup, and actually you can divide it twice at the max. and get 3 Bettas, but I'd wait to get a bit more experience until you kicked it up to that many xD.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nerys- it does NOT take that much money to start a tank. 1. there are 5 gallon starter kits that cost very little. 2. the small pre-set tetra heaters will work fine, but should be replaced every 1-2 years. 2. Avoid under-gravel filters, they will suck all of the dirt into the substrate where it decays and fouls the water. 3. a small whisper filter will work just fine for a 5 gal tank. and 4-get a cave and a plant to start, and add other plants as you can afford them, you don't have to buy everything all at once. A heated, filtered tank is still a more comfortable environment for any fish than a cold tiny bowl at the pet store.
Just a note on cycling- spend a couple of bucks on a culture starter to get the tank cycling faster, and do daily to every other day water changes until your tank is cycled. I see a lot of people telling you not to get testing strips because they are inaccurate. This is true, but they will give you an idea what your water quality looks like until you can afford to get a decent test kit. I am new to bettas, but have had at least one tropical tank for many years, and have had my last tank for four years before my fairly pricey adjustable heater suffered catastrophic failure and cooked them all. I can guarantee you that you won't stay with a tiny tank for long, the bug will bite you and you'll want to go bigger and better- maybe give friends and family hints for birthday and christmas gifts?

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I am going to disagree with you on the preset tetra heaters - I had one in one of my tanks and the temperature NEVER got above 75 degrees. Adjustable heaters are MUCH more reliable.

·
Registered
901 Posts
+1 on the Hydor Theo adjustable heater. You should have a heater that is adjustable, sometimes you need to raise the temp when your betta becomes ill. Plus, adjustable heaters keep the temperature constant better than a preset heater.

The heater is probably the most important piece of equipment you can get for your betta and its health.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.