Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve posted before about Azrael and his chronic fin biting. I feel every time I do a weekly vacuum (every 7 days), he gets stressed. I’ve done partial vacuums where 15%-20% water gets changed, and I only take out half of the decorations. Or I’ve done full vacuum where I take everything out and vacuum the entire floor removing about 40%-45% of the water. I even tried taking him out and placing him in a small bowl to see if that helped. But it hasn’t. I use tap water and Seamchem Prime with Stability as water conditioners. But it seems the next morning when I go to feed him breakfast he’s missing a chunk of his top caudal & lower dorsal fins, it’s always at night he does it. Before I was doing dip every week and removing about 20% of water, then vacuuming every 2-3 weeks between dips. I don’t remember him biting as much. But he was also in a 5 gallon tank. He has been getting fed a little more due to him being on the thinner side, so I feel he’s pooping a lot more. When he is fed I monitor his feeding to make sure he eats everything in his feeding ring so it doesn’t fall to the floor. I also used gallon spring water over tap water before. Should I go back to the original dip & vacuum or is there a way to keep him less stressed? And should I revert back to spring water? Or do I just deal with it since platinums are known for fin biting, and just make sure it doesn’t turn in to fin rot or an infection. Thanks in advance…

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 80.1 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes from filter
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Omega One, Betta Pro Shrimp Patties, New Spectrum Betta, Daphnia, Fluval Bug Bites as staple diet. Mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, & blood worms - freeze dried treats on weekends only.
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Yes
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2x daily - 10-12 pellets or until I see a full belly.

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of water did you change? Anywhere from 20%-40%
What is the source of your water? Changed from gallon Spring water to Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Both
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Seachem Prime and Seachem Stability

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0 ppm API Freshwater Master Kit
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 7.4
Hardness (GH): did not test
Alkalinity (KH): did not test

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? This morning
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Has not changed. Still swims around and then relaxes after. Very chill Betta.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Just keep water clean & IAL
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Yes - chronic fin biter
How long have you owned your Betta? 3 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Yes, fin biting.
Water Pet supply Fish supply Organism Rectangle

Plant Terrestrial plant Fawn Flower Bat

Plant Flower Flowerpot Houseplant Terrestrial plant

Plant Flower Vertebrate Fish supply Organism

Plant Vertebrate Flowerpot Flower Nature

·
Super Moderator
2,054 Posts
I know how frustrating this can be. The fish in my profile pic was a biter and I used to get so frustrated because he has such beautiful fins. Sometimes we can't figure out why they do it, or get them to stop. If the water is kept clean and he seems healthy otherwise I would try not to stress too much about it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know how frustrating this can be. The fish in my profile pic was a biter and I used to get so frustrated because he has such beautiful fins. Sometimes we can't figure out why they do it, or get them to stop. If the water is kept clean and he seems healthy otherwise I would try not to stress too much about it.
Thank you Sara, I really am trying my best with him and also trying not to stress at the same time. Plus, I’m sure I’m not the only one with this struggle. I was just searching for answers, and wanted to ask in case I missed anything from reading over the forums. Anything else that I could try… thanks again for responding!

·
Banned
11 Posts
hello, if everything else fails, maybe try putting him in a smaller tank? change his tank location, if he is bored and biting, redecorate his home, put him in high traffic area in your house so he has something else to do and watch besides focusing on his fins. <<snip>><<snip>> i never had fins biters, mines live in between 2-3 gallons, bare bottom tanks, some artificial plants, not very bright light, daily interractions and i move them around the house all the time, to avoid them getting bored, try it, let us know how it goes :) ( ps , speaking out of my own experience only, betta owner for over 20 years, and breeder as of this year, 8 sucesfull spawns)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hello, if everything else fails, maybe try putting him in a smaller tank? change his tank location, if he is bored and biting, redecorate his home, put him in high traffic area in your house so he has something else to do and watch besides focusing on his fins<<snip>><<snip>>. i never had fins biters, mines live in between 2-3 gallons, bare bottom tanks, some artificial plants, not very bright light, daily interractions and i move them around the house all the time, to avoid them getting bored, try it, let us know how it goes :) ( ps , speaking out of my own experience only, betta owner for over 20 years, and breeder as of this year, 8 sucesfull spawns)
He was biting in the 5 gallon as well (now he’s in a 10 gallon). He’s good after the water change, but when I do a vacuum it stresses him out. He’s in a room that no one is in, and I barely have any lights on (maybe an hour a day). He came in with bitten fins, then calmed down for a while. But it seems after any cleaning he just gets stressed. Idk what else to do besides not vacuuming as much? And doing more dips to keep the water clean? I use a betta mirror on occasion and will change the decor around to stimulate change.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My first thought is to not remove his decorations when you clean the tank. Granted, my decoration are driftwood, stones and natural plants, but I never remove them for vacuuming. I just vac the gravel between them, and hover over them if there's dirt on top.

What I'm thinking is that you're taking away his hiding spots and security every time you clean the tank, and he's stressed out by this. Just a guess though... I've never had a fin biter.

·
Registered
Fishy friends: Chopin, Liszt, Diego, Haku, and Shinah
34 Posts
I second trying what @Maxwedge said about not moving his decorations around. I've had a couple of finbiters, and one of them is triggered when he suddenly has a new reflection to "fight" because I moved a big plant or put the light shining in a new way. I had another who would always bite at night, and I figured out it was because he would freak out when the lights turned on full blast or completely off. Something about the sudden light change made him very flaring frisky/bity, I think because his eyes weren't able to dialate so he felt defensive at his reflection. He calmed down a lot once I got a timer that gradually turned the lights on/off, and grew his tail back.

My other biter is a doubletail who decided that he hates his top tail 🙃 His bottom tail is nearly 2 inches long, though, so at least I get to enjoy half of his pretty fins!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My first thought is to not remove his decorations when you clean the tank. Granted, my decoration are driftwood, stones and natural plants, but I never remove them for vacuuming. I just vac the gravel between them, and hover over them if there's dirt on top.

What I'm thinking is that you're taking away his hiding spots and security every time you clean the tank, and he's stressed out by this. Just a guess though... I've never had a fin biter.
I tried that, it’s very hard to do and even had debri/poop that would float under the decor causing cloudy water. They would even get knocked over and he would freak out more. There’s a lot of poop found under his cave as well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I second trying what @Maxwedge said about not moving his decorations around. I've had a couple of finbiters, and one of them is triggered when he suddenly has a new reflection to "fight" because I moved a big plant or put the light shining in a new way. I had another who would always bite at night, and I figured out it was because he would freak out when the lights turned on full blast or completely off. Something about the sudden light change made him very flaring frisky/bity, I think because his eyes weren't able to dialate so he felt defensive at his reflection. He calmed down a lot once I got a timer that gradually turned the lights on/off, and grew his tail back.

My other biter is a doubletail who decided that he hates his top tail 🙃 His bottom tail is nearly 2 inches long, though, so at least I get to enjoy half of his pretty fins!
I’m going to leave the decor where it’s at instead of rearranging it in case change stresses him out. But like I told the other forum member that poop and debri will float under the other decorations and I can’t just leave it there. And when I did try cleaning around them they still would get partially knocked over and stress him out even more. He’d zip around wildly moving away from the moving decor.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Tried that, still stresses him out and I try not to knock in to anything. But it happens and he zips around wildly. Poop and debri float under the decor when I’m trying to vacuum. Especially his cave, I’ve found poop under there as well. If I leave it the water becomes cloudy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi i have few thousand of betta at home,(i stay Thailand) fin problem happen most of time because before they were in water with catappa leave, before arrive to the shop if this fish comme from Asia is commun to use it, it s reduce PH and everybody know when the PH is low we have less bacteria attack especially on this fish, what can happen it s when they arrive to a different Ph the fin get bacterial attack or fin melt because the water become to acid
the best to do, and i do it set up the betta in little tank with stock water and some rock salt, it s relax the fish, and help it too recover quickly, change 100% of water one a week, and feed with proteines, bloodworm, mosquitos larvae, artemias,
here they feed moina with tofu, exces of proteine who make this fish grow up fast and sadely short live.
more the fin and tail are long more we get issues if we no have good hygiene with this fish.
just when you change water the temperature must be same good luck

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi i have few thousand of betta at home,(i stay Thailand) fin problem happen most of time because before they were in water with catappa leave, before arrive to the shop if this fish comme from Asia is commun to use it, it s reduce PH and everybody know when the PH is low we have less bacteria attack especially on this fish, what can happen it s when they arrive to a different Ph the fin get bacterial attack or fin melt because the water become to acid
the best to do, and i do it set up the betta in little tank with stock water and some rock salt, it s relax the fish, and help it too recover quickly, change 100% of water one a week, and feed with proteines, bloodworm, mosquitos larvae, artemias,
here they feed moina with tofu, exces of proteine who make this fish grow up fast and sadely short live.
more the fin and tail are long more we get issues if we no have good hygiene with this fish.
just when you change water the temperature must be same good luck
Ok thank you very much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts