Betta Fish Forum banner

201 - 220 of 1001 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Yeah, my plan is to have atleast two-three types of moss and alot of small hideys for them, I have picked up some shrimpcubes thats basicly a ceramic cube made for dwarf shrimp that fish cant get their thick heads in. Got some stars aswell :p lol!

HAHA! the fear of death gave them a hightened libido maybe xD

My dog is only 3 yrs old so he still are jumping around eating snowballs when we throw them at him. Last winter while we lived up north he had this idiotic idea that he would only poop on top of the huge snowpiles around our street so I had to climb them every single day to get the poop scooped :p
I've not tried the cubes, don't know their actual size but I'd be worried a persisant beta could get itself stuck >.> hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
746 Posts
You have a point there, I have to check them and maybe cover the sides with moss so it wont be possible to get stuck. I thought it would make great little houses for my RCS, but if my betta can get stuck I deffo wont use them :)

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
more photos!

and a spam of Xerxes shots..

*sigh* never in focus... for the flare

Xerxes vs. tablet pan

Will get more shots of Magnus and Alastor this week.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
ooh~ What kinda of tablet do you have? That pen looks like mine, except mine has the eraser end.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Haha xerxes looks so grumpy in the first tablet pen pic xD very cute! ^_^

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Must... resist.... temptation

Went by Petsmart today on a lark, there was actually a decent betta selection for once.. I had a hard time walking away without one (or three). New ones were in adn in blue water so a few I was intersted in I could not tell what thier real colors were. But there was a blue-green with white outlines finned "hm" (looked like a delta) possibly plakat or a young long fin like Aristocoles was? A steel blue hm or delta, photo made him look more blue, and a hard to photograph crowntail female that looked to be green copper with black head and red/black fins.
I'm tempted to pop by again and see if the blue-water bettas are in clear water ye (employee said they'd be changing them over soon) but I'm pretty sure I'd end up leaving with a fish and I don't have any tank setup for one atm. I'd have to get a breeder basket and keep it in the 55g or 12g (could not have running loose as it could get sucked into filtration, nipped by cherry barbs, or have a fight with the puffer or eat cherry shrimp). Then I'd be spending a few months getting plants and setting up a soil based tank in the lantern vase I got for Christmas.. which would make me feel bad abut keeping the little betta in a breeder basket for 2-3 months while soil leeches out ammonia and cycled the tank,... even though it would be a little more swim room and definitely warmer and cycled water compared to a cup... gah MUST RESIST!!! I have 4 betta and 3 community tanks+ a vivarium in the works, I don't need another tank... >.>

Haha xerxes looks so grumpy in the first tablet pen pic xD very cute! ^_^
Yeh he wasn't happy with it, but I loved how he flared, closed one gill, then opened it up again like.. "Maybe I don't need to flar.. OH YES I DO RAWR GTFO!"

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Crap Tap (water)

So with all the snow melt water levels are way up around here and apparently the water treatment pant is massively overdosing chlorine into the water to make sure they kill everything (including the end consumer!). When I turn on hot tap it smells like a warm swimming pool, and when I drink cold tap with ice.. taste like a swimming pool... and when I put tap in a little under 1g cube (currently holding MTS I need to sell), I can't see 2-3" down!!!

pardon the nasty sink, it the utility sink in the basement and apparently the last owner was a real [censor] who dumped a LOT of paint down the sink/drain... so multi color fugle sink!

Needless to say I'm 2x dosing Prime for water changes >.>

Random shot of Alastor's tank.. I think its my favorite scape at the moment.. as long as I don't think about how much poop gets under the mesh >.>

And Magnus who didn't want to be photogenic..or the camera decided to be a derp abut the dark fish in a bright tank *sigh*

Went back to petsmart as I needed to pick up more liver treats for the dog and only find the brand I like there (billjack). I looked at the bettas again and was sad to see a dead one, it looked like one of the new ones just didn't survive the weekend. I spent a lot of time mulling over taking the pretty blue/green boy home (I think he's a plakat from his tail length? no looking at it now he's just young like Aristocoles and will have a longer tail... ah that makes me want him more o_O).

I also looked at the emerald female and aaaalmsot went to the register with her but.. giant white poop strand.. don't need an already sick betta :c

Above photos are from last week, below are two other bettas that got my interest, one was a grizzle(?) white red crowntail male who was just very active and watching me the whole time, not quite my style of fish but I made sure to say hello to him ^^

And a dragon scale blue and I think a touch of yellow so mustard female, the photo doesn't do her justice! She's very brightly colored.. but then I wasn't 100% it was a SHE and not just a mislabeled young male so I didn't take her.

So no new fish.. yet >.> I keep thinking about that blue-green boy... gah do not need another betta right now!!
Well off to go do water change on the white cloud tank and dose plant ferts!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Wow! Go prime(!) is all I have to say :O That is just insane! But I guess it is for the overall health of the people drinking it, still anoying I bet :/

I love the scape in Alastor's tank :) And Magnus are on my fishnap list now ;) lol! Dat tail is awsome! *droool*

I like the petsmart fishies also! I would have a very hard time restraining myself from purchase ;)

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Wow! Go prime(!) is all I have to say :O That is just insane! But I guess it is for the overall health of the people drinking it, still anoying I bet :/

I love the scape in Alastor's tank :) And Magnus are on my fishnap list now ;) lol! Dat tail is awsome! *droool*

I like the petsmart fishies also! I would have a very hard time restraining myself from purchase ;)
Yeh toots love prime, does it and the water is clear in a few minutes!
Thank you, I really love how thick the fissendens has got in Alastor's tank.
Funny thing about Magnus, he is not a feather/rose tail, he is a delta but he mangled his tail his first week here. He spotted Alastor through the mesh divider in th quarantine tank and found a way to jump over 2" out of the water and get though an icy bitty gap in the divided against the lid and the got whooped on the other side for maybe a few minutes before I found and speedster them. I kept him in s medical tank with aquarium salt and daily or every other day water changes trying to heal the fins. When they were maybe 80-85% healed he ripped them up himself so I gave up and put him in is tank. The fins since healed a bit more but will never get back to normal delta tail shape again.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Xerxes bubble nesting

dang it I thought I hit "submit" but I guess not >.>'' ok try 2

The dwarf lilly leaf Xerxes was nesting under a few days ago broke but 2 large ones have reached the surface so he's been using them, and surprisingly let me take shots of him nest tending. I wish my camera captured colors the way I see them..dwarf lily plant leaves are much more vibrant the the photo suggests.
Yesterday

Today

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Ahhh I love watching them nest, it's so interesting. I find they all have different techniques to it. Shreddy still was the best at it and I wish I could post the video I have of him working on it >.<

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Your planted tanks are gorgeous, Aurora.
Thank you! ^^

Ahhh I love watching them nest, it's so interesting. I find they all have different techniques to it. Shreddy still was the best at it and I wish I could post the video I have of him working on it >.<
He's the only one that makes a decent nest (pathetically small compared to some boys though), the others have sponge filters which move the water too much to keep a bubble nest together.. Aristocoles can get a maybe dozen bubble 'nest' built but that's about it, it breaks up over night.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I love your tanks! They are so natural and have really good "flow"! They look amazing!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
I can't get a clear shot to show yet but Alastor is marbling more.. there is some color coming in on his body.. wonder wtf he's going to turn into o_O
In other news Xerxes is mad at me as its water change day so I wrecked his nest.. sorry boy! He'll be even madder when he realizes its Sunday and I don't feed them dinner today.

I love your tanks! They are so natural and have really good "flow"! They look amazing!
Thank you!!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
No photos yet, need to shrink thier size on the comp first but Magnus seems to have been getting himself stuck somehow and damaging the scales on his head/gills/face. Not quite sure how but my best guess is he was trying to get down in the sponge filter from the top opening.. Possible to pester a snail.. I tested his water params to make sure it wasn't a common sickness from poor water quality... Pristine water 0, 0, 5ppm nitrates, nice. I thought to a moment that he might have a parasite sticking out of his cheek (not out of the hill but on the face infront of it) but I e had him since.. October? And have Ben careful with all new fish that came into the house after that (none are in his tank or even in the facility of it) to not let anything new contaminate in.. So I don't think its parasite as that seems like a very long time for it to become visible? I dunno I think I'm being overly paranoid.
Aristocoles' tank has been getting pretty diatom heavy lately, I scrub down the rocks with a tooth brush every other eek and finally had to clean off the anubias leaves yesterday. Fortunately it's a string leaves plant so I was able to just wipe it down with a wet paper towel to get most of it off.
Xerxes can nolonger bag at his feeding spot as the dwarf lily leaves have decided to all grow towards that corner, so now I just feed him wherever I can actually see him. Some days he has better aim for food than others...
Alastor is doing good, nothing to report on his tank.. I really need to trim the fissendens but worry about cutting shrimp lets in hc hiding in it D:

My other tanks are dong well.. I'm considering getting a hill stream loach for the 20g long as I've let it get very diatom covered. Just need to move the filter media from the job to the canister I have in storage. If I do end up getting one I'd probably periodically rotate out Aristocoles' rocks and anubias to the loach tank for cleaning/feeding then move 'me back... Wonder how he'd feel about that...

Bahaha poor Xerxes, just a bad day over all
Yeh he was not happy, but at least he had nest building to keep himself semi occupied.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Oh forgot to mention: the red in Alastor's anal fin is starting to bleed up into his lower scales on one side.. Wonder if he's going to try to marble into an all red boy and pretend he's one of the cherry shrimp. I'm going to be bummed when he does marble more, I love the pearl like look of his scales and fins in the right light.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I love your tanks! I was wondering how you keep up with the fish, I'm pretty sure Alastor doesn't have a filter, so how often do you clean the tank? If I got something like that how often should I clean it? (Mine would have less plants of course!) Haha! Sorry for all the questions I just read this whole thread! Btw I'm in love with your bettas, I wish my petsmart had dumbo bettas!

201 - 220 of 1001 Posts