Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1001 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Ugh I hate that the forum won't allow editing after 20mins, I hit "post" before I was done typing, tried editing and wrote everything up... Then can't save edit because it's past the 20minute mark =.= let's try this again..short version:
Magnus' fin damage has been healing very nicely! The rips that went all the way to the base/body are about 2/3 grown back ^^. He's also gotten very comfortable with me and will peck my finger to get pellets (not that I'm trying to train him to, they just get stuck sometimes). He will also peck a finger if put under water without food, but not if 2 or more are below water. Magnus will even let me gently cares his fine if done slowly. Been giving him frequent water changes to kee nitrates down so the fine heal quickly.
Alastor is still shy about fingers or objects against the curved glass but doesn't mind my hand in the tank doing water changes. The nerite snails have been moved to the 55g but there is still a lot of poo left from it in Alastor's tank so doing extra water changes to get it out, still feels like I've not made a dent in the poo pile yet. Nitrates are still acceptable though ^^
I've noticed Xerxes actually has scales on his eyes, he can still see me out of both eyes but it's like having perminant blinders on at odd spots. I hope they do not expand/grow more scales over the eyes and lead to blind need. If that does happen I thing if have to move Xerxes in a curved tank without corners to run into and no hard decor (rock would have to go).

Wow, that is quite a difference in Xerxes! :eek: I think I prefer it, though. Very pretty. :]
I wouldn't mind if he stayed the same or changed, still love him. I just hope he keeps his yellow and the fins don't turn completely blue.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Gernal Update

Just a general update, Xerxes is doing well, his plants are growing in ok, already need to trim the rotala (thin stem in back) and thin out the salvia minimia (floaters) again. He's be amusingly beg-y lately, he will go to his feeding spot (top front right corner of the tank) and hang out there pouting for more food. If i put my finger by the glass he doesn't follow it but instead leads it to the feeding spot (my husband said Xerxes did the same to him haha). Everyone got thawed frozen blood worms for dinner last night and they were all absolute pigs about it! I actually think its the first time I fed blood worms to Magnus and Alastor, their meat meals had been brine shrimp and black worms before.

The picos upstairs (3g bubble bowl, 2g cookie jar, and 0.5g vase) are all doing well, though I'm getting a tiny start of BBA (black beard algae) in the bowl, dosing excel directly onto it to hopefully kill it off. I think its because of the high nitrates from the soil leeching ammonia (that the beneficial bacteria quickly converts), it could also be from fluctuating co2 levels from me doing frequent water changes to reduce said nitrates. Jar and vase are not showing any algae thankfully. I'm thinking of looking for a taller thin/cylindrical vase to move the sword plant into.
A while ago I noticed someone commented on feather like patterning on a semi cellophane betta photo and took another look at Alastor.. well its not a perfect feather shape (looks like the 'feather tip' broke off) he has it too on his dorsal ^^ He's getting better about my finger by the glass (not bolting away) but he still backs up. Hes the only one of the 3 now that won't take food from my hand now.

//i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/Purr_Machines/AquaAurora/022-5.png[/IMG][/URL]

In other news Magnus is healing up nicely, unfortunately though I think one of the fat cats laid against the multi plug extension cord last night turning off power to his tanks filter and heater (and the light and filter on the plant dumping tank), did not do a water test but temp went down to 72-73F. I did a 5x dose of prime and put him in his water change cube, did 100% water change, re-primed water and dripped him back in. He's fine but I feel bad that he had a cold night in an unfiltered tank, sorry buddy :c
Quick above view photo of him.. I wish my phone camera would capture how my eyes see things, he's more vibrant in person. Really love how bright the blue in his fins are compared to body scales!

I ended up confiscating more stuff from my niece (by marriage not blood related) shes the one I got my first used 10g tank from and those shunned less than 1g 'betta cubes' I don't keep fish in them.. she tried (and failed). Anyways I set up the smaller of the betta cubes with some of her left over substrate.. I wouldn't call it gravel, looks more like smoothed shiny shell chippings? No clue where she got it, a rock I found at a local stream, and the 2 marimo, no plan for any live animals in it, ever. I can't good photos of where I actually keep it, since they need so little light to survive, photos come out very dark ad grainy in that spot.
I'm not entirely happy with it so I am trying to clean off my unused 'shrimp rock' that I'd tried (and failed) at polyurethane-ing to seal them from leeching calcium and magnesium into the water (my water is hard enough these rook set the #s off he charts) several months ago. The urathane did not dry right and parts of it pealed and leeched out calcium still. Anyways dunked the rocks in gasoline for a bit then scrubbed the crap out of them in water until i was too sick to handle it any more... ugh still feel nauseous from it even after 7+ thorough rinses with soap my hands reek (and i was wearing gloves before.. they didn't help), don't know how some people can work around gas all day x.x.. Anyways I wanted to completely clean off a rock or 2 and use it + black diamond 'sand' in the mini cube with the marimo instead of the initial substrate and hardscape...I'll stop blabbing and slap up my quick photos.

I might also say "[censor] it!" and give up on the rocks and just sell the marimo... this is true marimo btw not that fake man made stuff on little plastic core structures. Find it funny that people make and sell fakes, but sad that the true wild marimo is pretty much endangered from over harvesting. No one wants to wait the many many many years it takes for an existing marimo to produce another of decent size.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
OMG FLARE!! + we got some big bugs

XERXES FINALLY FLARED FACING ME!!! And on 2 different days. First time got out of focus photos without his pelvic fins down because he was charging at me, but today I got a decent one, with full flare!! Beard is more translucent red than translucent yellow like I thought though. And it same some spots of red but its hard to see
3 days ago:

Today:

In other news we have gotten some messed up weather here! Went from it being in low 40s and needing the heater on to mid 70s and needing the AC (we like it cold.. well the people do not the fish ^^). On the warmer days found some incredibly large crawlers around the outside of the house including a HUGE caterpillar (don't know exact species) just hanging out.. dunno how it had survived the early cold spell but wtf.... should have metamorphosed a while ago o_O For not having a macro lens I'm really happy with this shot, but it was a HUGE bug (easily thicker than my thumb)

And a very large night crawler (type of worm), this guy got washed onto concrete so I picked him up to put back into the mulch garden. Damn he was fast and wiggly! Was like handling a young/newborn snake trying to slither out of my hand but without the fear of getting bit (on a random note I had a dream about a venous snake biting me twice the night before i found this thing). I had t use both hands and keep putting one in front of the otehr to keep him from shooting off. This crawler was easily as long as my hand (middle finger to wrist) when fully outstretched (could shrink to 1/3 the size) and almost as thick as my index finger!

And some pico tank shots for fun
Alastor being a hunch back from glass distortion with a O --- o face

Better tank photo

All 3 (love how they look when the bit of sun touches them through the window blinds)

Alastor actually pecked my finger yesterday when I did a water change on his tank! He's been finger shy since I got him so I was happy to see the behavior. It was basically a "FEED ME!" peck as I did not give him (or anyone) lunch that day.. they had frozen food the night before so they get fasted for meal right after that. But I'm happy to see he's getting less shy.

Magnus is still doing great in the qt tank. and his bubble bowl is not leeching so much form the soil (finally nitrates are equal or slightly lower than Alastor's tank) so may put Magnus in his tank in a week or two.. want t get as much fin healing done as possible first. Since he loved his home made mesh tube so much I may put a weighted one in the bowl that has an extra cover on it to act as a darker cave. Also have to make out of tank visual divider so Magnus and Alastor aren't flaring at each other all day. Both tanks have home made lids so not worried about jumping at least ^^

Promise to get off my arse and post about my other, non betta tanks soon.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I absolutely love your cookie jar tank. <3 I've seen you post about it around the forum, but I just wanted to ask a few questions:

1.) How does Alastor do in it? I'm not trying to imply anything at all! I'm just curious because I'd like to attempt something similar for my next betta. I know every betta is different, but still... >w>;
2.) What do you use for a lid? I read that you have home-made lids for them.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I absolutely love your cookie jar tank. <3 I've seen you post about it around the forum, but I just wanted to ask a few questions:

1.) How does Alastor do in it? I'm not trying to imply anything at all! I'm just curious because I'd like to attempt something similar for my next betta. I know every betta is different, but still... >w>;
2.) What do you use for a lid? I read that you have home-made lids for them.
Thank you! and I understand, Alastor does quite well in the jar. He seemed a bit daunted by the 10g quarantine when he had it to himself, but it was kinda empty (qt tank after all, can't have a ton of stuff that needs sterilized or toss if the unspeakable happens). First bit of time in the jar he was a little skittish, I think because the curved glass distorts everything that gets close. He's gotten use to it though and doesn't back up when I put my finger to the glass now (still won't follow it though). The 2 pieces of driftwood and Indian almond leaf behind them form a loose 'cave' and dark area for him to hide if he wants but he mostly just likes swimming through the gaps (made sure they wre wide enough that he could not get stuck). The driftwood doesn't take up a ton of space but breaks up line of sight across the whole tank so he can swim around/through it to see something at the other side. The pretty moss mass seems to entertain him, I'm not sure if he sees the microcrusations in the tank and is hunting them around the moss, to baby snails before they get big enough for me to see. Either way its amusing to see him above moss with his head pointed almost straight down and a semi flare (fins out but no gill or beard action). I need to trim and replant some of that moss soon. The tank is by the front door, in the living room, and has a view to the kitchen table. So he gets some stimulus from the comings and goings of family members and pets through these areas. My husband and i usually hang out by him while prepping and after eating dinner to watch tv (I've not tried to see if he watches anything yet, he seems more interested in us than the tv when i peek over though). He has no issues with water changes (I usually do 50% once a week, nitrates stay at 10-20ppm mark), and when I add water back in I use a plastic ziplock bag, sometimes it gets submerged a bit and Alastor will swim up into it and look up at me "Are you done yet?" then swim back out and under the wood. But hes not scared and hiding or angrily glass surfing when do water changes.

As for lids yes, all the tanks (except open the top riparium) have home made lids from [Lexan sheets from Home Depot]. Its a clear polycarbonate sheet that looks like glass but is cheaper and does shatter as easily (such as when dropped), and is also light (but its easy to glue something to it to add weight). Give me a moment and I'll take a photo of the lid.....
Ok here we go (poor Alastor got excited, lid removal usually means feeding time.. "where's the food?! :c )

Sorry not the best of shots, was trying to be quick. You cant see its not a perfect circle, but it fits over the opening fine and has a cut out for were the equipment goes in (sponge filter's air tube, sensor for temp controller, and heater cord) the gap is too small for any betta to fit through (well a fry could jump but no juvi/adult) I can barely fit my needle-less syringe through the gap to inject the daily dose of Excel. Having the lid lip stick out past the jar's rim makes it easy to grab and edge and pick up, but you can easily make your own handle to remove the lid with super glue and a misc item such as a big glass bead. The small curved white/cream things on the underside of the lid are tiny cut scraps of PVC piping that were glued on with super glue. These keep the lid from wiggle, or a very determined betta from bumping the lid till it slides to the side and gives them a gap to get out. It also adds a little extra weight (not much but every ounce helps with a betta)
If you'd like to try making one you need 1 sheet of the stuff (Lexan) you can get away with a [10"x8" sheet] which is just about $4 since the inner rim of the lip/opening is about 7.5". I don't know about all Home Depos but for me it was at the back of the store near the windows and doors isles, you can ask an employee to help you find it too. If they don't know Lexan, mention its covered put over in ceiling lights a "lens".
Anyways get a sheet, get your tank, and get a working pen or sharpie.
Take the glass jar lid off and put eh Lexan on, hold it in place and mark where you need to cut (make sure it goes onto the rim and is not so narrow that it falls through). Remember to make an opening for equipment. It may be better to get everything set up and in then get the lid so you know where the hole(s) need to be.
Now the harder part (possibly), you need to have or find someone that does have an electric saw (circular saw, table saw, band saw(this is what my husband used).. pretty much anything except chain saw and oooold school tree cutting saw). Its highly recommended to get a blade for this saw that is "many toothed"/"high tooth count" I think wood cutting blade will work well.
Someone needs to be slightly adapt at using the saw. If no one knows how to use it well... get a few sheets of Lexan and mark them all for lid cutting so there can be a few practice tries. Circles are a lot harder than a straight line. For openings for equipment you can make square cuts instead of rounded one(s) (probably easier).
Keep the sticky tape on the Lexan and consider also putting some tape around the area being cut (inside the line for the lid) this will help keep the Lexan from chipping/cracking while being cut and end up with an unsightly piece.
Once cut make sure it fits properly then you have the option to sand the cut edges to get the loose polycarbonate shreds off (this stuff can be rough). Once all done remove the 'sticker' on both sides of the sheet and you're ready for use!
You can add items to it like a handle or little pieces of aquarium safe.. whatever to keep the lid in place with superglue on the underside (recommend 3 or more points to keep it in place), just make sure the lid is dry when applying glue and to let it dry before using.

The bubble bowl has the same style lid, the other tanks have square or rectangular cut lids as they aren't rounded tanks. But only the two rounded ones have the added bits underneath to keep them in place. Its extra precaution since Magnus showed he was determined to get into a fight once already >.<

Hope my long rambling helped ^^"

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Additional info on lid making

first off: typo correction in earlier post: Lexan does NOT shatter as easily as glass (didn't spot till after I could not edit). Its a semi flexible hard plastic.

In addition to options mentioned above my handy man husband suggested several more tool options for Lexan cutting:
jig saw
hand saw
coping saw
Non electric:
utility/razor knife or straight razor -set jar upside down on Lexan (put on table or hard surface you don't mind getting cuts in) and cut around the edge of the jar lid over and over and over with this knife/razor to cut in deep then you should be able to snap it loose.

For making holes for the equipment:
you can also use a razor or utility knife or even a drill (wide enough drill bit for cords and airline tubing) to make the hole(s).
Also Dremel motor tool is an option for making small indentations and sanding.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
....Perfect timing Magnus.. =,=

So Magnus had maybe 1-2 weeks left of fin healing from his diver jumping escapade to be perfect again, and I get back from an outing today to find he decided it'd be a great idea to become a fin nipper =.= bad Magnus!
Well screw it if he wants shredded fins might as well test out if the pvc pipe hides are betta fun friendly too.. Will probably put him in his bowl next week. No point waiting for fins to heal if he won't let them. Sadly I keep planted tanks (except qt) so he won't get aq salt treatments in there but hoping the fact that its a planted tank keeps him from getting bored/stress and fin nippy again.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Oh wow, thanks so much for that awesome explanation! :3 Also, love the Pidgeot next to the tank. xD

To me, creative tanks like this are just so much more aesthetically pleasing. Plus, it opens up new creative possibilities, and I love to get crafty.
I have fun with DIY projects usually I have the idea/want for something, describe it to my husband, and he figures out how to make it (if its a common DIY i'll give him info on how others make it but he usually comes up with his own easier/better/cheaper way).
There is also a Sandslash ^^ My husband has put smaller starters from gen 1 by Magnus so he wanted to put some by Alastor too.

sorry if you've answer this before, but can i ask how you got the hygro sp. 'tiger' to grow sideways like that (on page one)? i really dig that look.
Its fine, i don't think I actually described it here yet. I use to let it grow straight up long ago (in a 20g tank in April) and roots would form at each notch/node. On a lark one day I pushed some of these roots higher up the stem into the substrate, forcing it on its side (roots closest to 'top') and noticed it kept growing along the substrate. As it grew longer, more roots formed and anchored it right into the sand, perpetuating what I'd started.
When I set up this tank I simply took the stems with their many roots intact and planted with all roots put into the substrate. I clumped them close together so the stem wasn't so visible and put another plant (hydro sp japan) mixed in with them for contrast, and that's that. They will grow along the substrate until they hid a blockage (tank wall, decor) then grow up again. But its easy to just trim this growth and replant it.
Xerxes loved wiggling his way down under the mass of plant 'carpet' and making a sleeping spot on the substrate (like a dog digging a ditch under a porch/deck to rest in).
If you've not owned hygro before but plan to get it, I'd suggest also buying some form of potassium supplement as they are potassium hogs! If they don't get enough you will see deficiencies in the leaves in the form of small pin holes. I use Seachem Prime and more than recommended; I dose 1 whole extra day and double the recommended dose for this tank. But then I have a lot of hygro. When starting out with just a single bunch of stems normal nosing amount would probably be enough. You can also get orangeish-brown -'red' (in quotes as not really red) patterning on new leaves with medium light but they grow fine in low light too.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I stumbled onto this thread through your signature, and wow I am so glad I did. All of your bettas and tanks are so beautiful, but I am particularly in love with Xerxes' tank!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I stumbled onto this thread through your signature, and wow I am so glad I did. All of your bettas and tanks are so beautiful, but I am particularly in love with Xerxes' tank!
Thank you very much for the kind words! Sadly I look at this tank the most since its on my desk and I just keep wanting to rescape it and try something new ^^''
Really want to get my anubias collection going again (use to have around 20 species) but I'd probably be bad and get a whole 'nother tank (and betta) for that adventure. I'm a frugal person so I fight myself with every new tank over the $ for it. The part of me that wants reliable/quality equipment beats out my cheap-ass-ed-ness so it can be $100-$150 for a tank, heater, and filter, and lights, then another $100 in plants because I'm too impatient to wait for them to grow in/fill out x.x
I have MTS bad (multi tank syndrome) and my husband is a sweet heart and keeps facilitating/encouraging it instead of just saying "Honey, you ave too many already." like most spouses would.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Its fine, i don't think I actually described it here yet. I use to let it grow straight up long ago (in a 20g tank in April) and roots would form at each notch/node. On a lark one day I pushed some of these roots higher up the stem into the substrate, forcing it on its side (roots closest to 'top') and noticed it kept growing along the substrate. As it grew longer, more roots formed and anchored it right into the sand, perpetuating what I'd started.
When I set up this tank I simply took the stems with their many roots intact and planted with all roots put into the substrate. I clumped them close together so the stem wasn't so visible and put another plant (hydro sp japan) mixed in with them for contrast, and that's that. They will grow along the substrate until they hid a blockage (tank wall, decor) then grow up again. But its easy to just trim this growth and replant it.
Xerxes loved wiggling his way down under the mass of plant 'carpet' and making a sleeping spot on the substrate (like a dog digging a ditch under a porch/deck to rest in).
If you've not owned hygro before but plan to get it, I'd suggest also buying some form of potassium supplement as they are potassium hogs! If they don't get enough you will see deficiencies in the leaves in the form of small pin holes. I use Seachem Prime and more than recommended; I dose 1 whole extra day and double the recommended dose for this tank. But then I have a lot of hygro. When starting out with just a single bunch of stems normal nosing amount would probably be enough. You can also get orangeish-brown -'red' (in quotes as not really red) patterning on new leaves with medium light but they grow fine in low light too.

hygros are my favorite. my 5g has angustifolia, polysperma and corymbosa, & i've owned pinnatifida, difformis and stricta/kompact. i think 'bold,' 'tiger,' and 'blue' are the only commonly found ones that i haven't owned. might have to try the horizontal method if i ever get my hands on them. do you have/have you ever had a problem with the stems rotting while growing them horiziontally? i think that'd be my biggest concern.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
hygros are my favorite. my 5g has angustifolia, polysperma and corymbosa, & i've owned pinnatifida, difformis and stricta/kompact. i think 'bold,' 'tiger,' and 'blue' are the only commonly found ones that i haven't owned. might have to try the horizontal method if i ever get my hands on them. do you have/have you ever had a problem with the stems rotting while growing them horiziontally? i think that'd be my biggest concern.
That's cool that you have so much ^^ I actually never had a melting issue with tiger but corymbosa and angustifolia were a [censore] for me and lost 3/4 of what I bought when I tried them to melts off >.< but I think it has to do with how different the environment they come from and go into is (those went from high tech/light to low tech) but the few that survived are in my plant dumping tank growing fine now. If you don't notice that your bottom leaves are falling off when it grows straight up (they still are getting enough light) then encouraging them to grow horizontally should work fine.
I think I have some leftover tigers tossed in my plant dumping tank. It has no heater but medium light and daily ferts, it has the possibility of snails or minor alage in there though. If you're interested I'll fish it out and take a photo and pm you about selling it for cheap if I have enough to warrant selling. But I have no insulation so I cannot offer any DOA guarentee (if you don't want to buy because of that I understand).

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think I have some leftover tigers tossed in my plant dumping tank. It has no heater but medium light and daily ferts, it has the possibility of snails or minor alage in there though. If you're interested I'll fish it out and take a photo and pm you about selling it for cheap if I have enough to warrant selling. But I have no insulation so I cannot offer any DOA guarentee (if you don't want to buy because of that I understand).
i'd be interested! i already have snails and i'm sure my amanos would take care of algae. and temperatures out here aren't so low that plants would be compromised during shipping yet. so if you would shoot me a PM, that would be grand!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
i'd be interested! i already have snails and i'm sure my amanos would take care of algae. and temperatures out here aren't so low that plants would be compromised during shipping yet. so if you would shoot me a PM, that would be grand!
Ok pm with photos sent ^^

Love the new icon, AA!
Thank you! Decided I really loved this photo I took of my nerite in the bubble bowl from a couple months ago. My other avatar image was a crop photo of my powder blue dwarf goirami that passed of old age back in April. Love that one too but this one has more shine ^^

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Thank you! Decided I really loved this photo I took of my nerite in the bubble bowl from a couple months ago. My other avatar image was a crop photo of my powder blue dwarf goirami that passed of old age back in April. Love that one too but this one has more shine ^^
I think I agree. :3 And zebra nerites are just so cute anyway. <3

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
A Long Journey: 20g long's history

Finally decided I'll try to cram the short yet long (lot of photos) history of the 20g long. DId not add my full anubias plant list but if you want to know it (or what a specific plant in the tank is from a photo) let me know.

Sorry for large photos

Start date:April 14th: 6 otos and Arist'oto'

April 16th: got some house hold plants to try riparium out with by planted in HOB filter: maidenhair fern, fittonia albivenis, tradescantia zebrine (aka wondering jew), and pothos.

April 23rd: plant growth, floaters galore + some free sickly riparium plants and riparium planters I got for price of shipping. Riccia put over foam outflow of HOB. Smaller HOB put back on 10g (half media split with new filter)

April 30: short of part of my anubias collection and riparium plants, fern is only one doing poorly, wandering jew growing like mad

May 8th:rearranged tank to fit in all the anubias, removed rocks as I suspected Arist'oto' managed to rip his fins on them. Got another riparium specific plant.. it did not fair well from shipping..

June 6th: lost anubias collection to rhizome rot disease that came in on a plant from a forum seller (not this forum). I lost Arist'oto' to an unknown disease after introducing new fish without quarantining first. Was expecting a shipment of new fish after so bought some random mis-mash of plants from my preferred plant seller site... turns out the fish seller had family problems so the transaction and fish shipment never happened :/ Smaller HOB back on the tank + failed attempt at a mesh riparium basket (was too flimsy had to remove).

June 15-23: Decided to wait a month in case disease was columnaris before new fish. Got some sexy Mazantia wood that me and my husband sawed-all in half (btw this is a very hard wood, rattled all the tiny bones in our hands from holding it down). Ripped out plants and put wood in + new riparium plants, planters, and floating trellis rafts(too lazy to slit full plant stock at this point^^'') Cut tablecloth and sewed seams + sewed on Velcro so it can be removed for washing (the checkered cloth was driving me nuts)

June 30: most of the plants underwater were medium light but only getting low light because of rafts and riparium plants above. Removed the majority and put in low light plants: dwarf lilly plant, java fern needle leaf, crypt parva and wendtii green.

July 6th: Husband made sexy background with scrap from tablecloth and backer board (mold resistant drywall)

Julyy 28: just growth update

Aug 4: was sick of driftwood leeching so much tannins that it kept dropping pH (was planning fish soon so needed pH to get stable). Removed wood and boiled for several hours: 1 hour boil, pot drained and refilled, wood rotated, repeat.

Oct 3rd: No more tannins since boiling. Tank has had new otos, cherry barbs, and an angelfish added, then moved to a different wall. This is the last shot of it as a 20g riparium before all plants and fish were moved to my 55g (will posts its history another day).

Oct 21: after letting the tank go without a water change for several weeks, only dosing ammonia to keep it cycled, everything was COVERED in snail poo so had to clean substrate with 200+% water change and remove and scrub wood clean.
Before:

After:

Current Tank stats:
Tank: 20g long 30"x12"x12"
Start-up Date: April 14th
Filter: Aqauclear 70 with foam over outflow
Heater: Eheim Jagar 75watt heater
Light: 13 watt 6500kelvin cfl bulb in clamp on work lampx3 clamped to shelf 29" above substrate (will lower when plants are gotten)
Substrate: Black Diamond blasting 'sand'
Hardscape/Decor: Ghostwood x2

Water Parameters:
pH: no tested recently (assuming 7.5)
GH & KH: 70s & 160s ppm (hard water)
Temp: 73F
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0-0.25 ppm (use strong ammonia dose filter almost cycled)
Nitrate: no recent tests done

Plant list:
currently nothing
Livestock: Noting serious just ramshorn, pond, and Malaysian trumpet snails, will determine fish/shrimp after plants.

Tank Placement: Wall just outside office
Plant Supplements: none at them moment
Other Things: 1 Thermometer, black table cloth and background, did I mention I have a lot of snails?

Too tired to write anything else up on the 20g long right now.. maybe later.. if you have question(s) about one/some/all of the plant(s) just let me know.

21 - 40 of 1001 Posts