Betta Fish Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1001 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
wow! i love how it looks like the plants are spilling out! it looks so lush!
Thank you ^^ Its very nice have the plant life above water to look at too (not just below), nice added bit of green hues. about 50-60% of the above water plants are actually converted house plants. Some -but not all- house plants do good with the wet roots.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
ive always wondered if that would actualy work, i tried it with a mundo grass (i think) that i mistakenly (newbie! lol) bought for my aquarium only to figure out it needs to be dry -____- so i put in in my HOB filter, but it just looked stupid with one plant sticking out lol, so now its in a pot now in my window!....but im definatly gonna try this...maybe in the near future..:)

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I noticed that you said you used foam to reduce the outflow. I also have an aquaclear that needs baffling, what kind of foam did you use? lol I want to avoid using the water bottle baffle that most suggest. Are there drawbacks to it?

Also loving how that riparium looked. Maybe once I get more comfortable with live plants I'd try that. Do you need to add ferts for them?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
ive always wondered if that would actualy work, i tried it with a mundo grass (i think) that i mistakenly (newbie! lol) bought for my aquarium only to figure out it needs to be dry -____- so i put in in my HOB filter, but it just looked stupid with one plant sticking out lol, so now its in a pot now in my window!....but im definatly gonna try this...maybe in the near future..:)
I really wanted to try mondo grass!! Unfortunately I could not find it when I first set up my riparium. By the time time mondo grass was available I had no room left to put it anywhere >.< I do want to try it some time bu its too cold here now so I cannot get it again argh. Have to wait till spring

I noticed that you said you used foam to reduce the outflow. I also have an aquaclear that needs baffling, what kind of foam did you use? lol I want to avoid using the water bottle baffle that most suggest. Are there drawbacks to it?

Also loving how that riparium looked. Maybe once I get more comfortable with live plants I'd try that. Do you need to add ferts for them?
Originally I used leftover blue sunsun canister filter foam that I cut to fit. Then I hated the blue so I just measured the outflow (roughly) and went to a LFS and looked at their black foam replacements. I bought one that was very cheap but a bit larger than the outflow (I can't remember what brand since I wasn't specifically buying it for that certain brand of filter). Got it home put it over the outflow to see how much needed removed then cut it carefully with a razor blade (can also use scissors). I made it just a tiny bit bigger than the space it went in to make sure it fit snugly. You don't have to use filter specific foam, you can probably find cheaper foams at a home improvement store or possible art and craft store, just make sure its not impregnated with anything (give it a sniff for perfumes/detergents) and rinse it in tap or removed water change water before use. The only downside to foam is it will catch mulm so over time (if its ONLY a betta tank no snails or otehr fish it will take a looong time) it will get a big clogged and need rung out in water removed at a water change. That said, I kept mine planted with riccia and never cleaned it as it did not get clogged. I did eventually take it out after Arist'oto' passed and put the riccia on floating rafts in the tank.
When I got foam for the outflow I sued coarse filter foam, which means its very airy, larger particles can pass through it. This doesn't baffle flow as much as fine foam but it won't clog as easily, it also was good for planting riccia on as the wider spacing let riccia get snagged into it and stay put.

On the other hand here is a fine foam (very dense)which I used over the intake, and it would clog (mostly from snail poo) and has to be rung out in old tank water once in a while. (depends on tank stock for me was every otehr week.. but i have a lot of snails).

For riparium plants they are all different just like aquatic plants, some do fine in very simple tanks with no ferts and low light (pothos for example) others might need some additives. I've always dosed ferts so I can't really give a comparison or example for one that needs ferts... I know several of people have used pothos with no special care given for it. I know you do not need co2 or "liquid co2" supplements for riparium plants, they get plenty of co2 from the air... Well I guess dwarf taro needs ferts.. I just don't know which ones as mine died even with fert dosing so I must have missed something (deficiency charts for taro said it was calcium issue but my water stained glass and terracotta pot argue otherwise (calcium rich tap here) so no clue what its issue was).

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
bummer about the anubias collection. must've been rough to lose them all like that.
also, that june 15th riparium set up *o*
Yeh it sucked watching the. Go one by one then 3 at a time till everyone was gone :c
I loved watching the evolution and growth of the riparium, looking back over the photos as I made the post... I really feel like continuing the riparium on the 20g long again with some new plants I've not tried yet. Thing is fall/winter is a real pain to find anything locally or get anything to survive shipping in the cold :/ hate having to wait!

Hmmm photobucket derped some photos of foam, will repost those later.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Originally I used leftover blue sunsun canister filter foam that I cut to fit. Then I hated the blue so I just measured the outflow (roughly) and went to a LFS and looked at their black foam replacements. I bought one that was very cheap but a bit larger than the outflow (I can't remember what brand since I wasn't specifically buying it for that certain brand of filter). Got it home put it over the outflow to see how much needed removed then cut it carefully with a razor blade (can also use scissors). I made it just a tiny bit bigger than the space it went in to make sure it fit snugly. You don't have to use filter specific foam, you can probably find cheaper foams at a home improvement store or possible art and craft store, just make sure its not impregnated with anything (give it a sniff for perfumes/detergents) and rinse it in tap or removed water change water before use. The only downside to foam is it will catch mulm so over time (if its ONLY a betta tank no snails or otehr fish it will take a looong time) it will get a big clogged and need rung out in water removed at a water change. That said, I kept mine planted with riccia and never cleaned it as it did not get clogged. I did eventually take it out after Arist'oto' passed and put the riccia on floating rafts in the tank.
When I got foam for the outflow I sued coarse filter foam, which means its very airy, larger particles can pass through it. This doesn't baffle flow as much as fine foam but it won't clog as easily, it also was good for planting riccia on as the wider spacing let riccia get snagged into it and stay put.

On the other hand here is a fine foam (very dense)which I used over the intake, and it would clog (mostly from snail poo) and has to be rung out in old tank water once in a while. (depends on tank stock for me was every otehr week.. but i have a lot of snails).

For riparium plants they are all different just like aquatic plants, some do fine in very simple tanks with no ferts and low light (pothos for example) others might need some additives. I've always dosed ferts so I can't really give a comparison or example for one that needs ferts... I know several of people have used pothos with no special care given for it. I know you do not need co2 or "liquid co2" supplements for riparium plants, they get plenty of co2 from the air... Well I guess dwarf taro needs ferts.. I just don't know which ones as mine died even with fert dosing so I must have missed something (deficiency charts for taro said it was calcium issue but my water stained glass and terracotta pot argue otherwise (calcium rich tap here) so no clue what its issue was).

(corrected photo issue)

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Resolution to so Issues + New Tank on the Way!

[Rant.. feel free to skip]
So if you saw my recent post in aquabid threat (photo section) I mildly vented about some issues... Basically I'd bought 20lbs worth of liquid plant ferts from amazon + new needle-less syringes for dosing and they packed them poorly, package broke and was shipped back to amazon before anything got remotely near my home or even state (not even to a directly surrounding state). Well amazon being the increibly peice of [censor] its become lately 1: altered tracking info on their site to say delivery was atmpted to me (fed ex tacking showed true status) 2:They updated overall order status to delivered/shipped/ and refunded (there were 4 items in one package.. they refunded only one item (cheap one of course)) 3: they made no attempt to fully refund or to reship the items not refunded 4: they did not contact me about the issue (you'd think a decent company would email or call to say "I'm sorry we're experiencing some difficulties with your order, we apologize for the delay [insert what actions they plan to do next (refund/reship)]"... Maybe i'm an old timer now for expecting this service but I'm rather pissed they don't seem to have such a concept now...
Had to [censor] at them with multi hour to write lengthy email and get told I'm getting a "good will" refund.. "good will"? wtf you [censor]s [censor]ed up the whole thing and want to screw me out of over $100.. and call it "good will" to correct your mistake... [excessive amount expletives deleted]. Well [censor] them now, I'm not doing ANY business with amazon again, they've become crappy middle men that are unnecessary and put no effort out to keeping customers happy anymore. Better to cut them out of the loop and go directly to sellers on their own sites (not amazon).
I ended up finding what I wanted on another site for cheaper .. but this whole bs with amazon wasted 10 days past the chem the order should have originally arrived and my ferts are running var low and the needle-less syringes are wearing out. I actually JUST bought the same syringes amazon has but for less on ebay (with free shipping) woot!

My other issue was a lost package, I'd won a RAOK (random act of kindness aka free stuff just pay shipping) for anubias nana on another forum I frequent, plantedtank.net. Well it was suppose to arrive on Friday, but USPS has gone down the crapper too and can't mange to scan their packages.. The item arrived a day late but even a day AFTER that the last scan info on the mail was it leaving an AZ sorting facility. As far as USPS tracking is concerned its lost... I'm also mad at my mailman as apparently they can just take days off on a whim and not load their trucks (have a friend of the family that's a mail-woman (sadly she doesn't deliver for my area though). I'm quite certain that since we got nothing on Friday (and we usually get some spam/scam crap) and a lot of stuff Saturday that he just took the day off... Seems like paying for 2nd day priority is pointless..
Anyways plants came at least so I'm done with venting and resolved my issues..

[Ok onto the good news!]
After linking tanks, heaters, and equipment for a forum member to save $ instead of getting some stupidly over priced (imo) Fluval chi I decided "this is too [censor] cheap not to get!" and bought a 6.1g Aquatop Bowfront $28, a mini sponge filter (have a spare air pump) and Aquatop 100watt heater. All this cost less that $55! I have spare CLF plant lights and can get a clamp on lamp for about $8-10.
Some of you might think nearly $30 for a 6g tank is stupid when "I can get a 10g for $10 on the petco sales".. well comparing an AquaTop to a Tetra brand tank is like comparing this:

to this:

I'm not saying anyone who uses tetra tanks is using trash (I have several tetra tanks myself and don't hate them), just AquaTop in in a whole different (higher quality) league of tanks.
Btw AquaTop also has a 3g bowfront for $18! Sadly its out of stock at the moment but for the quality of work that's a [censor] awesome low price!!!

Anyways going to restart my anubias collection in here, granted I can't cram in as many species as the 20g use to hold, but oh well. Might also grab some Fissidens fontanus and smooth river rock to cram the moss in between the crevices. Will posts photos as stuff progresses with that.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
oh man! thats not right about the ferts! 100$ is ALOT of money!! and they just screw you out of it!!!>:[ im mad for you lol! and the ROAK package sucks too! i hate when stuff doesn't ship on time like why did i pay for fast shipping then!? *rips out hair*
and lol! comparing an AquaTop to a Tetra brandxD so true,
i love reading your posts! they always make me laugh!

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Wow that is a nice tank. Lol I calculated what my shipping would be for it...$107.32. ... I'll never have nice things .-. the shipping price always kills me.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
i agree!^ its like ahhh! im already forking over an arm and a leg for it, but you need my other leg for shipping too!? lol

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
The Magnus Movement

Got sick of Magnus being in quarantine and since his soil based tank has stopped leeching I moved him over. Dripped him in then netted him to the bowl. I'm a bit worried about keeping him in a planted tank.. I had put duckweed in the quarantine to help with nitrates.. in 2 days he ate it all.. I checked its not stuck against the filter intake sponge or behind the outflow or decor, its gone.. and he had some slight constipation but no swim bladder issues... Well salvia minima is bigger than duckweed but I also have dwarf baby tears in there (and they have crappy short roots for plants so they break loose and float up easy) I'm gonna be pissed if he eats those, they're hard to get to grow in a non co2 tank (can be done but they are sooo slooow without co2). Not sure what I'll do with him if he ends up not being plant friendly.. I like my planted tanks...
Anyways here's some photos

Random shot of the mess of cords, temp controllers, and surge protector and light timer for these tanks. Lights unplugged for Magnus to acclimate for the day.

Oh forgot to mention made a little fabric privacy shield between the tanks so the fish aren't stressing and flaring at each other constantly. Husband made the wood base and drilled holes for dowels which I then pinned the fabric to. Plan to sew it someday, but the bobbin re loader is being a little [censor] on my old sewing machine so its just pinned together for now.

Pardon all the crappy photos, will get better quality tank/fish shots later in the week.

oh man! thats not right about the ferts! 100$ is ALOT of money!! and they just screw you out of it!!!>:[ im mad for you lol! and the ROAK package sucks too! i hate when stuff doesn't ship on time like why did i pay for fast shipping then!? *rips out hair*
and lol! comparing an AquaTop to a Tetra brandxD so true,
i love reading your posts! they always make me laugh!
Yeh they've gone to pot so I only use amazon as a search engine now and will not buy from them again. I've found most storefronts on amazon actually have their own webpages I can buy from direct instead. Its asinine that I have to put out so much work to get my $ back for their [censor] up.

Wow that is a nice tank. Lol I calculated what my shipping would be for it...$107.32. ... I'll never have nice things .-. the shipping price always kills me.
I'm sorry, if I lived at one of the border states I'd tell you to drive to 'the line' and I'd meet you there to 'toss' a tank over for you (don't have a passport so gotta stay on the us soil)^_~
If it makes you feel better, I do hit barriers of "not getting to have" for some nicer/rarer aquatic stuff living on the east coast instead of the west (California gets ALL the good [censor]!).

i agree!^ its like ahhh! im already forking over an arm and a leg for it, but you need my other leg for shipping too!? lol
Yeah shipping costs really bit you in the [censor] sometimes. I was lucking enough to have free shipping for my tank order though.. Just waiting g for them to fill/ship it *hovered on order status page* come on you've been 'open' for work for 2 hours I wanna see some updates *spam refresh*

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
lol that little curtain thing looks cool! good idea! i hate having cardboard and newspaper between mine.......sounds like project time!xD
ive also come to the conclusion that i need one of those anchor jars to make a planted "micro" shrimp tank...but a betta would defiantly fit.......lol!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
lol that little curtain thing looks cool! good idea! i hate having cardboard and newspaper between mine.......sounds like project time!xD
ive also come to the conclusion that i need one of those anchor jars to make a planted "micro" shrimp tank...but a betta would defiantly fit.......lol!
Thank you ^^ It was pretty easy to make, only thing bought was the fabric, had scrap wood or thin dowel from unrelated projects. You could probably make one with no cost from wood straps (or 1-2 metal hangers even), old curtail/sheet/unwanted clothing/etc, and pins/double sided tape/stick-on-velcro/even folded over regular tape as fake double skidded tap. Once I get it sewed I'll be happy as I can remove it from the wood and wash it if it gets wet/dirt.
The Anchor 2g cookie jar is nice, you can get them at Walmart for $10 (at least that's how much mind cost) saw one at Target for $13 today... also saw this 2.5g Montana Anchor jar (lid is removable so all glass)

I almost grabbed it but had to stop myself, already have a new tank on the way, don't need another new one yet.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Must... resist.... temptation

So in the "dream betta" thread I posted I'd like a solid orange or orange wit red spots (absolutely no pineapple-ing), or a chocolate betta (dark hues: orange and dark brown/black), either plakat male or any tail type female.. also mentioned possible interest in a dumbo/elephant/big ear plakat....
Weeelllllll I found a dumbo/big/elephant ear I like on ab.. but I' doing my best to resist buying him as the tank isn't even here yet (it actually hasn't even been shipped out yet! apparently 'special handling' charges for packing the tank for shipping means extra delays x.x) ... also I think I'd be better off with a female as this will be sharing the desk with my other plakat male and the monitor makes its hard to come up with a visual barrier. I kinda really want him but I want to wait and look around more before I buy (and wait for tank to get here and filter cycled... if I can hold out that long). I hope I don't end up regretting waiting....
Arg kept looking around ab and found a nice pure white dumbo female! Must.. resist..

In other news, Magnus didn't eat live plants to the point f explosion (yet) so that's a plus. He's settling in fine tot eh bowl and I'm happy to see he will swim up wit his cute little eager wiggle but bursts like before. Going to take him a while to get use to finding food around the floaters though.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Magnus meets the Pale Pond Snail!

Hung out with teh delta boys yesterday for a bit. Magnus is still exploring his new home, and spotted a (very pale) pond snail.
[que "Jaws" theme music]

Snail spotted!

WTF are you?!

Bah! You're boring, I'm going over here.

And so ends the (short) tale of Magnus and the pale pond snail.

Also here's a decent (though dark) side shot of Magnus

Really hope he stops fin nipping now that he's in here, i want to see sexy perfect fins again!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
A crappy day:Anubias Armageddon

Well I'd planned to setup another tank next week, have a 6.1g aquatop bowfront that's suppose to be here Monday.. I'd bought about $200 in anubais from several sellers already for the tank.. and one sellers batch has the spreadable disease, rhizome rot... I lost my last anubias collection to this disease and had though I'd avoided it by only buy anubias I could be shown clear photos of rhizome and roots first to ensure I got healthy plants.... well I was wrong.. 1 nana completely dissolved yesterday, and all the others from this seller have the signs they'll go soon too... [censor]! Over $100 in anubias down the drain again! I'm so sick of getting sick anubias from [censor] bag sellers!
For anyone not familiar with rhizome rot, its not a well know disease but sadly seems to be getting more prevalent and is contagious to anubias kept in the same tank (it can also affect crypt species).. you can read about it [here]
Along with the info in the link, the rhizome will sometimes also get a semi translucent fungus growing over it (looks similar to fungus seen on newly added driftwood to aquarium, but its not the same stuff) if such visual ques are spotted you should remove the infected plant from the tank immediately.

I'm feeling very defeatist at the moment, and tempted to throw the entire collection of anubias out and just be done with the damn plant forever.. also feel like returning the tank and equipment I bought for the anubias because "whats the point.. its all rotting away anyways..." ugh...

41 - 60 of 1001 Posts