Betta Fish Forum banner

921 - 940 of 1001 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #922
most recent shots of a few of the office desk fish
Freya, her tank is getting diatoms, may try putting a snail in there.. downoi old leaves are still melting but new shoots are coming off the stem base so I'm not worried.

Cirrus is doing well though I think he nibbled Very Berry's antenna as they seem to be shorter, still has its eyes though. Seeing as he's missing a few scales on his face I'm guessing he got his head stuck in the snail's trap door when going after an antenna.

Aristocles my current oldest fish. Still chugging along.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #923
Antaeus decided to take a dive out of the tank and onto the carpet this morning. Don't know how long he was out, when I found him he was fairly dry and covered in fur. He wiggled when I went to pick up what I thought was a corpse so I quickly put him back in his tank. He went to the bottom, clamped and not moving. I've left him be but not sure if he'll pull through or not.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I'm rooting for him to recover!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #925
Just before the hubby and I went to bed he jumped again! What the [censor]? I had to remove the lucky bamboo and slap a small plate over his tank for the night. This morning I put in some long rooted salvinia from the cookie jar to keep him from jumping and my husband made a quick lid just in case.
Still no idea why he jumped, params are fine, he's not tried to jump before... best guess is he saw a fruit fly and went after it, or was going after his own reflection? Didn't think he'd jump again after the first time.. kinda wondering if the fall caused some head trauma (like short term memory loss and he forgot the whole incident).

I'm rooting for him to recover!
Thanks

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
What a strange thing! Mrs. Fish used to jump a lot; I heard her hit the lid even with the water level lowered 1.5 inches below the black strip that holds the lid.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
I have had them.jump out of blue too. Makes you wonder. Hope he recovers ok for you.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #928
What a strange thing! Mrs. Fish used to jump a lot; I heard her hit the lid even with the water level lowered 1.5 inches below the black strip that holds the lid.
I have had them.jump out of blue too. Makes you wonder. Hope he recovers ok for you.
DUnno why he decided to jump and twice in 1 day but he seems fine now. Surprisingly no fin damage and as far as can tell no scale damage either.

Midas on the other hand managed to break his dorsal rays trying to get behind the marimo covered wood =.=

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Silly Midas!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #930
20g long, only a week or 2 before girls go in, just did a water change so all the leaves are low from lack of water in tank a minute before

Also wanted to show how tall the lucky bamboo on Shreduski's tank had gotten. Pretty soon I'll have to cut it before it hits the ceiling of the bay window.

On a sadder note Aristoles is slowing down ad starting to go the way Alastor did...

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Plant coverage has filled in very nice in 20! Great girl tank. Amazing how tall bamboo is. Do you have it in dirt or just water? Sorry to hear Aristoles is slowing down.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #932
Plant coverage has filled in very nice in 20! Great girl tank. Amazing how tall bamboo is. Do you have it in dirt or just water? Sorry to hear Aristoles is slowing down.
I know right! Thank you. No soil, no root tabs its just gravel and fish. I dose once a week with 2-4 drops of flourish and maybe once every few weeks with 1-2 drops potassium, that's it.
I woudl think he was dead he's so still until I move a finger in front of him, then he slowly flaps his pectorals and turns his head to look at me before going still again..

·
Registered
609 Posts
Aqua, I have a question about your opinion on smaller canister filters. You have one on Xerxes' old cube don't you?

I've been considering getting a mini canister for my 5 gal Fluval Chi. Would you say it's better/worth it compared to a nano HOB or in-tank pump driven filter? Is the flow super strong or can you adjust it?

Also does it make much noise?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #934
Alot has happened since last update.. Aristolces finally had to be put down. Freya has moved into his tank and is doing well.
The sorority is doing great, everyone is healthy and fairly undamaged.. sadly there is an annoying algae problem but I'd rather that than a fish issue.
I got some new boys (both one I'd looked at grabbing from my local store after Xerxes' passing), Cacao in Magnu's old 3g bubble bowl. For a while it grew the dumb cane in the previous photo on the windowsill) but now I'm starting lemon mint. I finally rescued the other yesterday (was at the store 2+ months), no name yet and he's in rough shape but hoping he'll bounce back-he's in Freya's old vase with some scavenged silk plants from Shreduskie's and Ciele's tanks + Freya's old driftwood and heater. Growing scallions (green onions) on his tank + a mystery onion that popped up in my chive pot (was so excited to see the sprout-thought it was one of my peace lily domi0 seeds but no.. random 'wtf you doing here' onion...
Papilion now has the marble pothos + cilantro seedlings. Ciel just has 1 dwarf peace lily and the pothos njoy + parsley seeds/seedlings.
Cirrus (Xerxes old tank) has some room mates- 3 nerties moved from my 75g, they've done a great job cleaning up the excess amount of algae in his tank. I'll redistribute them among my other tanks soon (wish they ate the green slime algae gowning in the sorority).

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Wow, new tattered boy looks pink! I'm glad you were able to bring him home.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Oh, okay. Is it the same one with spots in the cup? I'm glad you were able to bring them home.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
LOL. I've seen a lot of Dalmatians popping up around the forum. My new DT boy, Ringo, a rescued girl, and your boy. Maybe they are the new "Koi"? Beautiful boys! I'm jealous of your tanks! I tried growing a Pothos, but it didn't take well to the water, having already been rooted in dirt. How do you do it?!

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I did pothos in tanks, too. You just cut anywhere on the vine and put the cut end in the water. It might take a few weeks, but it will grow new roots in the water. It may grow so many roots in the water that the roots will need trimming from time to time. You can do the same thing but put the cut end in dirt, and it will grow for you. It's very hardy and can adjust to most lighting situations over time, too. I once took a yellow vine with one shriveled, brown leaf and turned it into a plant that grew up the curtains and ruined them just by watering it once a week.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #940
Oh, okay. Is it the same one with spots in the cup? I'm glad you were able to bring them home.
The one at the top of the post is a different fish from the lower one in the cup.

LOL. I've seen a lot of Dalmatians popping up around the forum. My new DT boy, Ringo, a rescued girl, and your boy. Maybe they are the new "Koi"? Beautiful boys! I'm jealous of your tanks! I tried growing a Pothos, but it didn't take well to the water, having already been rooted in dirt. How do you do it?!
I never had issues,it can take a bit to acclimate to water growth but if the vine is long and has several leaves already they tends to transition to water covered roots quicker.

I did pothos in tanks, too. You just cut anywhere on the vine and put the cut end in the water. It might take a few weeks, but it will grow new roots in the water. It may grow so many roots in the water that the roots will need trimming from time to time. You can do the same thing but put the cut end in dirt, and it will grow for you. It's very hardy and can adjust to most lighting situations over time, too. I once took a yellow vine with one shriveled, brown leaf and turned it into a plant that grew up the curtains and ruined them just by watering it once a week.
Yeh they're a pretty durable plant.

921 - 940 of 1001 Posts