Betta Fish Forum banner

961 - 980 of 1001 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #961
Your tanks and plants are so beautiful! Really enjoyed seeing the update pictures. So sorry about your sorority girl.
Thank you.

Sadly had to put the copper girl down today, she would perched herself on a tall silk plant by the surface and wouldn't move or eat eat. I think it did a lot more internal damage than I'd realized. At least she got to go peacefully with clove oil.. I hate the smell of that stuff...

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #962
5g
flora: riccia and marimo
fauna: 1 'mustard' (i think yellow salamander is the correct term?) eepk male
filter: azoo mignon
heater: hydro theo 50 watt
light: finnex 16" i think fuge ray?
substrate: white sand from petco
ferts: weekly flourish and potassium -3 drops and 1 drop- for the riccia

So sad news, Chiyome finally had to be put down. She lived a long life but by the end was getting lethargic and eventually had kidney failure. Put a nerite in her tank for a few days to eat diatoms on the glass then did a massive water change yesterday and moved Ciel over from the pond pot in the aquaponics room. I haven't been able to see him much since he went in-so many floaters and he never wanted to stay put to be looked at. He deiced the table was better than the tank when putting and flopped out of my hands =.= but he's in now and hopefully fins will heal (think damage is a bit from water quality issues in the pond pot-apparently i had pest snails in there and never saw any (just all their poop when I went to take Ceil out). Being in a clean snail free tank with better (lower) nitrate levels should let the fins heal up quickly. Ceil has a lot of personality and I love the big EE pectoral fins. My husband amusingly is not a fan of the huge fins, he prefers hmpk- because they 'look like they could survive in the wild'/'look more like wild bettas', but he didn't mind me moving this fish into his tank. Ceil got his name from David, after a character in a show we'd watched from Queen Elizabeth era (original, not current one), the character has frilly shirt sleeves that came out of his jacket and the pectoral fins reminded my husband of those.
We'll have to see how he does being able to see his reflection and see André next door. The pond pot did not have any reflective surfaces for him to see himself before, hopefully he doesn't mind, if I have to add anti reflection inserts then I won't be able to see him anymore :c

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #963
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF WAAAANT!!!!
live betta fish- IMPORTED male- CHOCOLATE ORANGE HMPK- CLEARANCE OVERSTOCK | eBay
Must not buy must not buy must not buy must not buy... why did I go looking around ebay? aaaarg!
Its from the seller I hate though-tried to play up diamond eye bettas as a good thing...also doa policy doesn't tell you if they refund or give store credit... soo I'll just look at him longingly...side note I notice the aquabid thread in the photo subsection seams to have vanished, guess everyone stopped torturing themselves looking threre, then showing off the "omg i want that" here.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I stopped torturing myself with bettas we can't have :) I even order all my supplies online, so I don't see them at the pet store. That boy is gorgeous!

Reactions: themamaj

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #965
random spam of Ceil

12g
flora: Sagittaria, leopard val, jungle val, water sprite
fauna: 9-13 (immpsoible to count) chilly rasoras, #? cherry/sakura/fire red shrimp, #? mts
filter: eheim 2211 canister
heater: 75 watt eheim jagar diy inline ehater
light: finnex 24/7 36"
substrate: wblack diamond 'sand'
ferts: weekly flourish, iron, potassium, osmocote+ root tabs

Not best photos but took quick shots of the 12g long
husband's view:

side view:

My view:

Have some bba on filter intake screen and nearby val.. also gsa on ohko (dragon) stones and diatoms growing on front glass.. about time to add nerite for the last 2 (bba I get to deal with myself... yay *sarcasm*).

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #966
No photos today.. went into petsmart to get a siphon for one of my aquaponic tanks (have 3 and only 2 siphons for all 3-want to reduce risk of cross contamination) made the mistake of looking at bettas... there was a chocolate crown tail! Hnnnnnng so hard to put him back. I'm trying desperately to cut back on bettas but arrch chocolate!!! but not a tail type I'm a fan of.. but its a color on my 'bucket list' >.< There were also 2 lovely mustard hm boys there and one vt that looked like Cacao.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #967
Curse you lack of will power!
Well I can scratch chocolate betta off my bucket list (all that's left is orange Armageddon (with no black pineapple hints or those irids on the scales)

Need to name him.. I love orange sherbet and chocolate truffle ice cream scoops in a cone.. may try to make a name up from the initials o.s.c.t.i. .... Scoti... meh makes me think of the dog breed..

Some of the healthier bettas at petco: 2 dtpk, a red platinum pkhm, copper gas hm, and unsure if chocolate or mustard hm (think mustard), didn't get any of these but did get wood for a tank rescape from petco.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Want that first DTPK *dies* but I already have at least 3 new bettas on the way.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF WAAAANT!!!!
live betta fish- IMPORTED male- CHOCOLATE ORANGE HMPK- CLEARANCE OVERSTOCK | eBay
Must not buy must not buy must not buy must not buy... why did I go looking around ebay? aaaarg!
Its from the seller I hate though-tried to play up diamond eye bettas as a good thing...also doa policy doesn't tell you if they refund or give store credit... soo I'll just look at him longingly...side note I notice the aquabid thread in the photo subsection seams to have vanished, guess everyone stopped torturing themselves looking threre, then showing off the "omg i want that" here.
Oh Wow he is gorgeous. I feel your pain!

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Well my will power would have been the same. Love chocolates. Could go with a chocolate name like Russell (Russell Stovers). Have had a piece that had an orange filling ;) He is a cutie. Enjoy all of your tank updates and especially love your break downs of tanks and what you fertilize with. Your EE boy has amazing flappers!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #971
SO I missed my old 55g riparium, can't set it up again yet but I broke down and bought my favorite pant-peace lily 'domino'. Expected to get something small I could stuff on my2g cookie jar.. what arrived is so huge I don't think I could fit it onto that small betta tank! May have to do some tank shuffling to have 1 big enough for it.. or break it into smaller plants (looks like its made up of 10+ plants in the pot), and re-home the extra plants.

Want that first DTPK *dies* but I already have at least 3 new bettas on the way.
One more won't hurt ^.~ if you really want him and will pay for petco cost + priority shipping (I think $12-14) I have spare packages with foam insulation and can send 'em your way.

Oh Wow he is gorgeous. I feel your pain!
Well my will power would have been the same. Love chocolates. Could go with a chocolate name like Russell (Russell Stovers). Have had a piece that had an orange filling ;) He is a cutie. Enjoy all of your tank updates and especially love your break downs of tanks and what you fertilize with. Your EE boy has amazing flappers!
I was lucky to find a local chocolate ct instead ^^
Still mulling over name.. hubby suggested just using the letters for his name Oscti.. not yet on that yet...
Thank you, will be more updates soon-need to redo some tanks.
I know right! Love those big pectorals, or as my husband calls 'em "jazz hands"

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
Definitely jazzy hands :)

How are you with java moss? I have some big clumps that have awful black gooey algae on them but have wonderful new growth. Driving me nuts. Any idea how to rid/clean the algae?

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Aqua I'll take him. Martias is refusing to sell me his fish because I insisted upon paying via "Goods and Services" instead of "Gift" or whatever.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #974 (Edited)
Definitely jazzy hands :)

How are you with java moss? I have some big clumps that have awful black gooey algae on them but have wonderful new growth. Driving me nuts. Any idea how to rid/clean the algae?
gooey algae sounds like blue-green slime algae. I'm no pro with that.. I've heard its from too much nutrients-manual removal as best you can, big water change, black out (cover tank with towel/blanket) for 3 days, 'nother water change and see if it gets better-this is what I'd read from others.
you can also google up "The "One-Two Punch" Whole Tank Algae Treatment" and try that-note may want to remove fish for the 1-2 punch treatment until after water change.
Aqua I'll take him. Martias is refusing to sell me his fish because I insisted upon paying via "Goods and Services" instead of "Gift" or whatever.
I don't trust sellers that want payment as 'gift' they can just take your money and run. if you complain to papal you get no help because "you gave a gift". Will pm you momentarily-going to call up petco and ask price for dtpk

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #975
2 more quick shots of Ceil.

My fissidens finally came in... but was several hours late and threw off my whole rescape scheduled (didn't want to guy tank before it came and find out all moss was dead).. so Antaeus is spending the night in an empty tank (no decor/plants) woudl keep him in large storage bag but I want him to have the clean water...
Cleaned out filter(took apart and cleaned pipes and tubing as well as rinse mulm out of media section-desperately needed to do this flow was getting weak from clogging), tank, removed substrate.. boiled old and new wood (not bleaching wood just for good measure and another boil after).. keeping the light off for now and floating his new moss in there. Hopefully tomorrow I can figure out wood placement and get all moss tied down + throw in new substrate.

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
His pecs are unbelievable! Thanks for algae tip. I did a large water change and manually rinsed all the plants and put back. It looks a lot better anyway. Maybe with less light I can get it under control.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Aqua, my dad didn't get home till late last night. I will send the money tonight.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #978
Redoing several tanks, have a few plant packages for sale.. also consolidated my spare marimos and found a few babies in their tank so put them in glass jars with sealed cork, offing in US marketplace section for $1 per, as add on to any of my otehr plant packages..have about 8 available.

Took me several days to finish Antaeus' tank rescape but I think he'll like it (he better!) Tied fissidens down to 4 pieces of driftwood, over a dozen small rocks, and on 2 walls of the tank (using craft mesh). The front mot driftwood is the tree trunk one that was in there before (and previously in a 10g), the otehr pieces I got at my local petco-they were in the fish tanks so I thoroughly boiled, bleach soaked, and boiled again before using. Moss walls will take a while to grow in did the sandwich between to pieces of mesh method-makes it more rigid..

Had spare portions of fissidens leftover so selling that in US marketplace too.. along with the small sword species that use to be in the 7g cube.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Need more pictures of tank... *dies*

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #980
are my photos all showing up as photo bucket add spam for everyone? because it is for me and its really pissing me the [cesnor] off! i'm only 23% full on photo bucket storage, wtf this [censor] showing up for *rages*

961 - 980 of 1001 Posts