Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This morning I woke up to this.

My halfmoon betta, Darwin, is suddenly missing a huge chunk of his glorious tail. Where it was looks shredded and brown. I can't figure out what happened!
Was it a plastic plant? or stress?
He was just getting over the finrot that the petstore gave him :-(
Can someone tell me what I did wrong and if his tail will grow back?

Here (if it shows up) you can see one of the only plastic plants I have in my tank.

And here is a good view of the tail beside the filter. (I put a sponge over the filter)

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 3.5 Gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 80 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes, air stone.
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Only one. A ghost shrimp.

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Nutrafin max Betta floating pellets.
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets.
Freeze-dried?No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 5 pellets in the morning, 5 at night.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once every week.
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dipped out the water during the week then would later take out 75% of the water to throughoghly rinse the substrate and rinse the plants.
What additives do you use? Betta plus conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: Don't have this tester.
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

(I have the flimsy stick testers and none of them are clear :-? I think it might be because they are old.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? This morning.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? A chunk of his tail looks shredded and the tips around it is brown.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? This hasn't changed him a bit. He's still being the king of his tank.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No idea on how to treat this.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Not while he's been with me. I have no idea on who raised him.
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? Around 3 weeks. Yes he's a Petsmart rescue.

The plants in his tank are 2 live ones, 2 fake ones.
The two live ones are Anubias and Moneywort.

(if the pictures don't show up could someone please explain to me how you do it?)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Pic didn't show.
Click go advanced at the bottom of the message box, then click on the little paper clip at the top. It will walk you through it.
It sounds like biting or damage. Do a panty hose test on all decor. If it snags panty hose it will rip his fins.
Many bite because of stress, could you post a pic of the tank too?
Right now he needs sparkling clean water to stave off fin rot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts