Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So I got a male betta about three weeks ago. For the first fews days he was pretty scared and obviously stressed, darting behind his ornaments every time anyone in the room moved. But then I guess he got used to us and by the second week he was doing beautifully, relaxed fins spread out nicely and swimming calmly but energetically all over his tank.

However, at the start of the fourth weeks he's completely clamped up his fins (this was yesterday) and won't even spread them to swim. He's spending most of his time wither just floating in one part of the tank at the top, barely moving, or laying down at the bottom.

From what I can tell his fins look fine, aside from the clamping, with no tears or spots or anything and his eyes are clear.

-He's got a 2.5 gallon tank which will be switched to a 10 gallon in september
-No heater as of yet but it is very hot where I live in the summer and his tank is within the 78-83F range (although it may occasionally dip down below during the night, when he moves into the bigger tank and the weather cools he will get a new heater)
-No filter but I do a 25% water change every week
-he's got an ornamental bridge that he often swims through or hides behind when scared, a silk plant and a small marrimo ball

Any advice? Reading through these I've decided to do a 50% water change tonight, just waiting for the water temp to stabilize right now, but I would appreciate any suggestions from more experienced Betta owners

Thank you

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not exactly more experienced, but I've had Cecil for about a week longer than you've had your boy :) What I would suggest is to do smaller water changes more often.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
ok a few things.

1) You need to be doing more frequent water changes. With a 2.5 gallon tank you need to be doing at least one 50% and one 100% water a week. Make sure you are cleaning the gravel as well.

2) You need a heater. I know you said that during the day the water stays at a good temperature but you also said that the temperature dips down at night. The point of having a heater is not only keep the water warm but also keep the water at a stable temperature, even at night. Where I live it does get very warm during the day in my apartment but I still keep the heaters in to keep the temperature stable. The temperature flux is what is causing your fish to be stressed and clamp his fins. I suggest getting a heater ASAP.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
are you able to provide a picture for us to look over? They can be very telling as to what may be causing his condition.

For the time being keep his tank dark and somewhere quiet where he can sleep off his stress. Adding stress coat or indian almond leaf to hi s water will also help calm him down and balance the water ph

1 - 4 of 4 Posts