Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
I'm afraid some people have had really iffy results cycling tanks with those biological starters. It seems that they can really skew the readings. It will be great when you can get nitrate/nitrite kits because I wonder if those readings are a bit high. That is usually the case. That would cause Claude to clamp up a bit and be just a bit . . . off. Also, have you had any weather changes? Sometimes bettas can sense those. Or so it's been said. I'm not 100%, never been able to test it. Is he eating all right?

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
It's definitely possible that from a distance he thinks the goldfish are bettas flaring at him, since black moors do look puffed up like that. I wouldn't really put anythinf past a betta's way of thinking, that's for sure. :) It's good that he is eating, a betta who doesn't want to eat definitely has something up with him. I would say it's a combo of the storm, possible high nitrite/nitrate readings, and the goldfish that could be causing him to act tense. If it is supposed to be a big electrical storm with lightning, he can probably feel the electricity. Sounds like pretty much all you can do is keep an eye on him, make sure he stays eating, and test the nitrite/nitrate as soon as possible. I'm glad he seems healthy other than a little stressed.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
That's good he can't see the goldies anymore. Maybe he stayed clamped a bit and flared because he was intimidated by their size? Hard to say. These bettas, they just love to stress us out. :)

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
Haha, wouldn't it be funny if the moors though they were being helpful. "Oh look, she forgot to put gravel here, let's help her out." :-D

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
:lol: Yeah, you've got a definite point about the adorable mess thing. :) I didn't realize goldfish liked to dig so much.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
I was totally laughing like crazy when the black moor spit the rock out. Too funny. Too bad, too, because I like your aquascaping with the rocks outlining a "pond" underwater. :)

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
:shock: Those poor things in a 5 gallon? I'm sooooo glad you rescued them. And yes, I can believe you would clean up for them every night because it's very easy for us to get wrapped around a fishy's fin. Very, very easy. :-D I swear, I think fish pass around a little instruction manual that has advice on how to manipulate us fish owners. ;-)

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
I hate when Wal-Mart overstock bettas. They don't even have time to clean one or two betta cups but then to have like 100? Ugh, poor betta babies. But wow, a 30 gal setup for only $50? Amazing deal! I spent $40 on just the dang hood for my 10 gallon. :p I wanna know where you're shopping. :)

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
Wow, I think you're definitely right, you were meant to rescue those goldies. That's amazing. What a great win-win situation: you get some fun new fish and the fish get a great new home. :)

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
In a 10g with one betta, you could easily keep four bronze/albino cories. They're super peaceful because they stay on the bottom most of the time. Your only problem may be keeping your betta from eating the cory cats' food. I kept my cories in my sorority (totally did NOT work out, all the girls ate the cories' food and bloated up like golfballs) and then I kept them in their own 10g with a single female betta and it worked out fine. Now they're in the 10g with three guppies and will soon be joined by six danios.

If you have any worries about diseases, you can always quarantine your cories. I kept mine in a small tank separate from my other fish for a week to make sure none of them got sick. In my case, the tank was a 2.5g because the cories I got are panda cories and they are very small. Bronze cories are a LOT hardier but they also get bigger, around 3" whereas the pandas get only 1.75".

I love my cories, they're a lot of fun to watch. Just a warning, they do need sand or a rounded gravel substrate.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
Yeah, the 5g would work great as a quarantine tank, way better than my 2.5g. :) I did use a filter in my quarantine tank and my 10g already had one. I used a Marineland Duetto for the 2.5g but I found the Penn Plax Smallworld filter works great, too. It's just a little internal box filter that runs by air pump. For my 10g, I have an AquaClear 20. Other than that, you shouldn't need more than that.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
I understand, that's always the downside of a big community tank. That's why I love that almost all of my bettas are in their own tanks. But I have to admit, I do love watching the fish swimming in my community tank.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
Maybe it really is that hurricane that is upsetting him. There was another poster who had a betta go through several tornado warnings and severe storms; the betta ended up being so stressed he bit his tail off. Hope Claude doesn't do that, though!

Quarantining new fish is time consuming and a little frustrating (nice fish, you want them in their permanent tank NOW!) but well worth it. Friend brought home a new fish, didn't quarantine, got ick for the whole tank. Happens all the time. :/

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
Yup, new fish sure can be. When I got my cories and guppies, I went through two tense weeks because they kept dying. I was so sad and frustrated because I had a hard time figuring out what went wrong. Turns out two of my guppies were pregnant and both seemed to have died from complications of birthing. As for my cories, I think a few were sick to begin with and two were victims of anaerobic sand (I have since changed all the sand in my tanks).

Has Claude's behavior just started and I can't remember, how long have you had him? What is your pH?

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
Yeah, I'd be suspicious too if their readings were that off. Hmm. I guess he is just stressed by the storm or something. Unless he loses his appetite or gets lethargic I guess I would just watch him carefully. Hopefully he's just being a brat or somethingl like that. Bettas are good at being brats, haha. :)

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
Haha, somehow I knew you couldn't walk away empty-handed. He sounds gorgeous, I can't wait until he settles in so you can take pics. How does he seem? Is he breathing heavily or lethargic or showing any other signs of stress?

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
Sounds like the new guy made the trip okay, then. I was worried he was majorly stressing out but I think he should be okay. And when I first got my doubletail Riceball, he would freak out and literally try and jump out of the water to get away from me so it's normal for your HM to be a little spazzy. Once he learns to associate you with food, he'll be your best friend. :)

I'm so glad Claude is doing better. Maybe he really didn't like seeing the black moors, who knows? Maybe he just likes messing with your mind. ;-) Some bettas do seem to enjoy doing that as a hobby, mine included.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
Oh, of course, they always know when the camera is on them, the silly things. I bet he looked so cute, though! "Hmm, what is this new thing in my tank? I shall investigate thoroughly." The girls in my sorority like to bite at the siphon because they think all the guck I'm sucking up is edible. They'll attack the plastic, it's funny.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts