Betta Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hmm that could work. I do have the 5 gallon the moors came in, so that could be set up as a quarantine. I could easily put smooth gravel in Claude's tank. Do corys need filters or anything like that? I already have Hikari bottom feeder wafers for the goldies as a veggie supplement. I have to admit, the corys are cute. :)

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
Yeah, the 5g would work great as a quarantine tank, way better than my 2.5g. :) I did use a filter in my quarantine tank and my 10g already had one. I used a Marineland Duetto for the 2.5g but I found the Penn Plax Smallworld filter works great, too. It's just a little internal box filter that runs by air pump. For my 10g, I have an AquaClear 20. Other than that, you shouldn't need more than that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I actually do have a 5-15 gallon filter that would probably work. I just can't make up my mind. I would love to have more fish, but it is always so complicated if one of them gets sick. For instance, part of me wants to have a huge tank with all of the goldies together, but I am sort of happy that they are separated so that if one tank has a disease break out I have two fish to treat instead of four. On the one hand, I would love to add a bottom feeder, but on the other hand I love knowing there are fewer variables. At least there would be a fairly safe way to introduce one though. Maybe if I find myself at the fish store I will have to bring a few home. :p

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
I understand, that's always the downside of a big community tank. That's why I love that almost all of my bettas are in their own tanks. But I have to admit, I do love watching the fish swimming in my community tank.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
As long as I can ensure that they don't have any illness when I introduce them to the tank it would be worth a shot I think. Ugh, Claude is clamping his tail again. I wish I knew what was up with him today.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
Maybe it really is that hurricane that is upsetting him. There was another poster who had a betta go through several tornado warnings and severe storms; the betta ended up being so stressed he bit his tail off. Hope Claude doesn't do that, though!

Quarantining new fish is time consuming and a little frustrating (nice fish, you want them in their permanent tank NOW!) but well worth it. Friend brought home a new fish, didn't quarantine, got ick for the whole tank. Happens all the time. :/

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Oh boy what a nightmare, the ich and the tail biting. :shock: He doesn't seem nearly that stressed. That is what is driving me crazy. He seems totally fine except he is pinching his fins at the ends. Other than that, totally normal. I guess I should do what I usually do in situations like this and resort to shrugging it off unless I see any new or worsening symptoms. The moors were the scariest situation with quarantine since they were in such terrible conditions. I hated to throw them into a tank that hadn't been slowly and carefully cycled, but I just couldn't leave them in the 5 gallon. Even worse, the tank was used, filters and all. Thank goodness the guy we got the stuff from seemed to really know what he was doing. He had a giant and beautiful Oscar fish he had recently upgraded from the 30 to a larger tank, so I trust that there is nothing nasty in it. Normally I would buy new filters but we really couldn't afford it. I guess new fish are always stressful lol.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
Yup, new fish sure can be. When I got my cories and guppies, I went through two tense weeks because they kept dying. I was so sad and frustrated because I had a hard time figuring out what went wrong. Turns out two of my guppies were pregnant and both seemed to have died from complications of birthing. As for my cories, I think a few were sick to begin with and two were victims of anaerobic sand (I have since changed all the sand in my tanks).

Has Claude's behavior just started and I can't remember, how long have you had him? What is your pH?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I have had Claude for about a week and a half or so now. Not actually sure what our Ph is, I know it is high. He just started this yesterday, so I don't suspect the water. I took ammonia readings earlier today and it was at 0 ppm. Unfortunately nowhere in town sells decent nitrate or nitrite kits, only the test strips. I am hopefully going to be able to get to the next town to pick some up tomorrow, if not I will go to the LFS when they open and have them test it for me, though I am not sure how accurate their kit is. Recently they gave me a reading of like 2.0 ppm ammonia, or something insane like that, on their paper strip. I got home, tested it with my liquid kit and got between 0 and .25 ppm, so I am rather suspicious of the kit they use.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
Yeah, I'd be suspicious too if their readings were that off. Hmm. I guess he is just stressed by the storm or something. Unless he loses his appetite or gets lethargic I guess I would just watch him carefully. Hopefully he's just being a brat or somethingl like that. Bettas are good at being brats, haha. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well I am about to head out to the next town to get the nitrite kit. Maybe I will pick up some little corys while I am there! It occurred to me we even have a 10 gallon for QT, so it should work out nicely. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well I got somebody, but he isn't a cory. I am sooooo bad at walking away from beautiful fish. Long story short, I have a new half moon betta. He is just stunning. I just hope he will be healthy, the poor little guy had an hour long ride home and is getting drip acclimated now. Fins crossed that he pulls through it all ok.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
Haha, somehow I knew you couldn't walk away empty-handed. He sounds gorgeous, I can't wait until he settles in so you can take pics. How does he seem? Is he breathing heavily or lethargic or showing any other signs of stress?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
He is definitely a bit stressed. When anyone gets near his cup he swims pretty frantically but he isn't clamped or bottom-sitting. He seems curious about the new tank but easily startled. Right now his cup is sitting right next to the tank while we add bits of tank water to get his Ph adjusted. He seems more cautious than anything, but not gasping or anything like that. I will probably put a cloth over his tank for tonight so that he can rest. :)

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
Sounds like the new guy made the trip okay, then. I was worried he was majorly stressing out but I think he should be okay. And when I first got my doubletail Riceball, he would freak out and literally try and jump out of the water to get away from me so it's normal for your HM to be a little spazzy. Once he learns to associate you with food, he'll be your best friend. :)

I'm so glad Claude is doing better. Maybe he really didn't like seeing the black moors, who knows? Maybe he just likes messing with your mind. ;-) Some bettas do seem to enjoy doing that as a hobby, mine included.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I know it didn't take Claude long to calm down, so yeah the new guy should do fine. :) Claude is such a spazz. We had to move the tank so that we could fit a second 10g beside his (solid divider between to block the view of course) and I got a new little tiny siphon tonight, it is cute and betta sized. First thing Claude did when he noticed the gravel inside the tube getting knocked around was swim up and watch it. He kept tilting his head up and down and side to side and looked about as fascinated as I have ever seen. He was cracking me up, of course he stopped the minute I pulled out the camera. lol

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
Oh, of course, they always know when the camera is on them, the silly things. I bet he looked so cute, though! "Hmm, what is this new thing in my tank? I shall investigate thoroughly." The girls in my sorority like to bite at the siphon because they think all the guck I'm sucking up is edible. They'll attack the plastic, it's funny.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.