Betta Fish Forum banner

Cleaners for a 10 Gallon

2K views 24 replies 4 participants last post by  taquitos 
#1 ·
Sooooo my little 1.5 gal vase looks SPOTLESS thanks to my new awesome fire red shrimp... but I am pretty sure they wouldn't stand a chance in Jackson's tank. I also know how terrifying it must be for them because I never saw my little Hitch (Thai Micro Crab) when he was in the 10 gal. with Jackson.

What will clean my tank as well as the shrimp, that would be compatible with him?

I don't want any snails.

#3 ·
Keeping a tank spotless is more about a stable and balanced system than having critters to 'eat the gross away'. Many types of snail are particularly good at breaking particles down at the substrate and helping with tank stability, and those with a trapdoor have a better defense against betta attack.

Nearly any micro fish will enjoy detritus worms. Nano rasboras might be a nice choice, of which there are several that may appeal to you. Ever-peaceful pygmy corydoras would probably eat the worms as well but will be an easy target for betta aggression.

Before acquiring any fish for the sole purpose of eating the detritus worms, a good first step is to test your water parameters to figure out why there is a noticeable population to begin with. Poor circulation, low oxygen levels can contribute to worm booms as well.

#5 ·
I believe it's possibly from poorer circulation -- I don't have my filter on very high because my betta gets buffeted around. Any suggestions on increasing circulation?

I really want to stay away from snails (nerites would probably work best for me and I do not want them laying eggs everywhere).

My water params are tested weekly. Everything is at 0 (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate).

Hmm would cories take care of excess biofilm on my driftwood and java moss? Lots of gunk getting stuck on my java moss >_>

My betta gets along perfectly with my pygmies.
Posted via Mobile Device
What was your betta's temperament like? I would say Jackson isn't overly aggressive, but he's definitely not the most docile either.

#6 · (Edited)
Well he flares a lot, at me lol. He goes after the yellow shrimp but doesnt eat them just picks at them. When i first put the pygmies in me nipped them a little bit. Now they are tankmates for life, literally. They get along perfectly. They are in a HEAVILY planted 5 gallon also. But some hiding places help, just in case your betta in a little bipolar lol, like mine.
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
If your filter is adjustable, I would up it. A 10 gallon gives your Betta enough room to get away from the current and as others have noted, current gives Bettas exercise and makes them stronger. An alternative filter would be an internal with a spray bar you can point to the tank wall which baffles but not too much. This one (or the IF-201) is small and effective. Unfortunately, both are out of stock but expected this month.

http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-internal-filter-if-202.html

He goes after the yellow shrimp but doesnt eat them just picks at them.
Posted via Mobile Device
How lovely for them; nothing like a stress-filled life.

#14 · (Edited)
Well ya add them at different times if you can. So add them 3-4 at a time, if you live near a fs than you shouldn't have a problem. But if you have to drive a little bit or there is a deal than get them all. I have never had a problem with adding fish and the ph changing. It is more about making the tank unbalanced be adding to much of a new bioload at once.
Posted via Mobile Device

#15 ·
Adding too many fish at the same time, even Nano/Micro fish, can change the bioload enough to overwhelm the beneficial bacteria and start a mini-cycle. Keep an eye on your parameters if you add more than 5-7 (the number most suggested by long-time aquarists). And as I don't always follow my own advice, I can attest that water changes and Prime will get you through the mini-cycle. :)

#20 ·
Thanks for the advice. Always so helpful, RussellTheShihTzu! :D

Well I will probably stop by my LFS this weekend :) See if they have any dwarf cories in stock.

I have a nice sandy area on one side of my tank so I am sure they'll love picking through the substrate! :D

#23 ·
2 died last night :( But 4 are still alive and seem very responsive. Going back to the LFS today to get my replacements... and I think I will bring home another 4 so that they have a larger school.

These guys seriously are sooo cute though... can't get enough of them! I would love to have a cory-exclusive tank one day :D

#25 ·
AhhhH!! Do you ahve any videos? They are honestly sooo entertaining!

The remaining four swim around in "couples" it's quite adorable :)

I just picked up another 4 today... here goes nothing!!

They do seem to be very timid. They only started exploring the front of the tank today :)

Thank you so much for the recommendation again. I never thought Jackson would do so well in a community! He chased them a little the first night but today he just watches them and sometimes follows them. I think he's learned that he's just too slow to catch up to them haha :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.