Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
By the way, how is your other betta in that divided tank doing? I don't think we ever came up with a definitive answer regarding whether to clean the entire tank and its contents, or all the decorations and a 50% water change, or...?
Hey, he is doing well. I thought he was kinda sad but he flared at my twice (yesterday and today) which he never does so maybe he is fine solo. I cleaned the other side really good and removed any decor and one plant that was on its way out anyways. I changed the water and am changing again tomorrow. I figured I would water a week or two to see how he is and by then the tank water will have been refreshed a couple times and vacuumed a few. Then if all seems fine, I may consider stocking the other side or just giving him run of the 20g( assuming I can get the divider out without having to move the tank- i put it on a shelf and it is impossible to open the lid all the way where it is, only 50%). I didn’t want to make any more changes until I am certain sickness is gone and not stress him out unnecessarily:)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm SO glad to hear he's ok :) It sounds like you have a good plan (y)
Thanks! I hope he stays that way! From what I read columnaris can be a slow killer (24-48hrs) or a fast killler (a month). I’m not sure if that was what did it in the end, seemed more secondary so I am hopeful! He does look at the wall a lot throughout the day, I do wonder if bettas ever get lonely 😢

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
hahaha yea, everything I read says they do best alone but I have no comparison point🤷

·
Super Moderator
19,479 Posts
Is he the one left in the divided tank? Or is he in a tank alone?

Some Betta are just chill. But, depending on size of the tank, you could add a Mystery Snail. Or more plants.

I have Betta in community tanks and Betta living alone or with just a snail. Haven't noticed any difference in any of them. Once the community Betta get used to the environment they act just like the others.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks! He is the one left in the divided tank. The other one actually is getting along nicely with two blue velvet shrimp. They hid for the first few weeks but they seem to have become friends or just braver but will occasionally swim together. It amazed me as the betta tried to eat one the first 10 minutes they joined LOL He is the chillest of them all though. The one left that I was contemplating mates for I actually did add more plants to his side as well. So he has been exploring the area a lot as if new. He isn’t sad yet at least:) thanks for the insight Russell!

·
Super Moderator
19,479 Posts
You're welcome.

Can you add more Blue Velvet Shrimp? I've had Neos in my community tank. Because they are small I was advised to keep no fewer than six.

I also keep at least three Amano.

Love to watch shrimp go through the water. Reminds me of the bike silhouette in ET.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
haha it does look like that! It is on. in my 5g so I was worried about too many. Also get pest snails from time to time in there. 5g is too small for more right?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts