Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I have cycled my tank, how should I clean it? I know how to do water changes...but I've read that washing decorations can disrupt the cycled tank. I can't just leave them to get dirty...?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I like using a siphon to suck up any detritus on surfaces. Other than water changes and vacuuming I don't "demolish" my tank for a deep clean too often. Maybe once every 6 months? You don't want to harm the good bacteria!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well honestly I rarely deep clean to that extent and don't really see much of a need to but my tanks also have very few ornaments and more plants so that helps. If you feel you need to clean the items in your tank what I would suggest is alternate which items you clean, much like being sure to never replace all the filter media at once, if you clean one this time you can clean another the next time.

However from what I understand the majority of the beneficial bacteria lives in the filter so you should be okay to clean however you wish but to be on the safe side you can alternate like I described above.

Also I am sure you know this but when cleaning be sure to never do a 100% water change unless it's needed to medicate a fish. I just wanted to add that in just in case you didn't know.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
The majority of your beneficial bacteria is in the filter. Taking your ornaments out to scrub algae or detritus off them shouldn't disrupt your cycle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts