Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Posting for a friend). my friend has a betta in a one gallon tank, and like me, she's desperately tryin to get him out. She went and bought a used ten gallon. Turns out, the ten gallon is just YUCK!

She can't afford ANOTHER tank, and wanted me to post on here for her. The woman processes to say all her fish kept dying, after she bought the tank. My friends afraid it's diseased, and is afraid to our her VT male betta in it.

What can she clean it with? How can she make sure it's safe for her VT?

Also, the tank has been in storage for over a year.

Any advice for my friend is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
702 Posts
For possible disease - use 75% alcohol and then let it air dry. I was worried about that too when I got my used tank. For general cleaning, I also hear vinegar works well. Never use dish soap or bleach unless you're really going to rinse it a million times.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Tell her to make up a paste of baking soda and water paste and with a wash cloth go over every crook and nook with it. You shouldn't have to scrub hard. Here is the full article that I will be using Sat.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5074541_clean-used-aquarium.html

Hope you enjoy your fish. And welcome to the forum

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reccka, you used alcohol? So, air dry, then religiously rinse?

Sebastian, I think I will tell her to do alcohol and baking soda;). She loves Bubble alot, and she wants to make sure it's like CLEAN!

And to nth of you, thanks for such a prompt reply!

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
It is possible that the fish were dying due to poor water conditions and/or overcrowding and not an actual disease. Some people say to rinse with vinager, others say bleach. I wouldn't use bleach unless you can easily rinse out the tank which may be a pain in the rump with a 10 gallon.

A sponge filter is supposedly the best kind of filter for biological filtration AND it is the cheapest in terms of upkeep - all you have to do is swish the sponge around in old tank water when you do water changes to remove debris and you are good to go. You may need to get the actual sponge filter online though. I never see them sold in stores around here and you will want a gang valve which will allow you to control the amount of air and thus the amount of bubbles released. It can also allow you to run 2 air driven devices off one pump which can be handy if you decide to divide the tank. Then each side can have its own sponge filter.
http://www.petsmart.com/gsi/webstor...ferralID=6371fe68-3fd8-11e4-a1c0-001b2166c2c0
I have 2 small sponge filters in my 10G.

I have these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bio-Sponge-...011991517?pt=Fish_Filters&hash=item27d11be7dd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.