Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While I'm still waiting before getting another fish, I was wondering how often should I clean my 5 gallon tank? My last fish wasn't in it for very long. It's filtered so I was thinking a 20% water change weekly? or would 50% be better? Also, how long until a 100% water change if at all? I figured it would be good to have this clarified before hand.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Never do a 100% percent water change since that will kill your restart your cycling process. If I were you I would get the betta in the tank then put in Tetra Safe Start which is about 5$ at petco or Walmart (its bottled live bacteria that will cycle your tank in 7-14 days instead of a month with fishless cycling). Once your tank is cycled do weekly 25% water changes with a gravel vacuum.

Get a API water testing kit so you can test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Once you see 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and .5-.20 nitrate your tank is cycled.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think my fish might have died from something internal since he remained relatively active until his last day when I noticed he hadn't perked up as much as usual that morning. I had found him in stationary instead of the pet section so I think maybe a child might have left him there and perhaps shook his cup too much. Either way I made sure to clean everything with warm water before starting over. I've kept the filter running and the heater on since then so that it'll be ready for the new fish. Thanks guys for the advice. I felt like I shouldn't trust what the tank's box said about how often to do water changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts