Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was at my PETCO store and overheard a conversation an employee was having with a customer. He said not to clean out the entire tank as it kills the micro ecosystem that has set up in the tank.

Now, this PETCO guy said he had been a fish keeper for many years and he even said something about knowing more than most other employees. But I'm curious, is it really true?

Should you just give water changes and only water changes?
But what about all the poop on the bottom, what happens to it?

Thanks for the info!

~Sydnie

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
If the tank is cycled this is true. In a fully established tank a 20-50% change weekly is all that's needed. If you're not cycling you will eventually need 100% change.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If it is a cycled system it is true you dont want to do that but on smaller systems it doesnt matter.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I typically use a gravel vacuum once a month. My betta gets 4-5 pellets and I make sure he eats all of it.
This is inadequate practice for any size tank. Even a fully cycled and established larger tank needs a minimum of 20% change weekly including the vacuum and up to 50%.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
This is inadequate practice for any size tank. Even a fully cycled and established larger tank needs a minimum of 20% change weekly including the vacuum and up to 50%.
I didn't say anything about me not doing a partial water change.
I do in fact do a 20-30% water change every week and the vacuum also includes a 50% water change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts