Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently rescued this fish from Petco with what I think is cloud eye. I bought API Fungus Cure. I followed the instructions and nothing has changed. It comes in powder packets, each packet per 10 gallons. So I divided the packet into 1/4 and gave him 2 treatments as it said. He barely eats. I tried at first giving him pellets and dried daphnia but gave up and I have been giving him frozen Freshwater Multi-pack (contains a mix of brine shrimp, blood worms, krill and mixed greens) which he barely eats. I just purchased plain frozen brine shrimp which I will be trying tonight. I also just purchased a heater. His water has been 74 but should hopefully be going up soon. His eye looks no different then the day I got him and I don't know what to to do. His scales right behind his head look pale as well but I don't know if that's normal for him or not. Please help with any tips!

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2.5 filled up half way
Does it have a filter? no
Does it have a heater? just installed
What temperature is your tank? 74 but hoping the heater will start working and is supposed to go up to 77
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? no

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets? frozen bloodworms
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2x a day

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change? 50%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? dip
What additives do you use? Prime Seachem

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: can't tell from the strip, but seems high. How do I lower it?
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.5?
Hardness (GH): 0
Alkalinity (KH): 0

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Bought him with it, I think 3/22
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating? very little
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? API Fungus Cure
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? One week from Petco

·
Registered
630 Posts
Ok so you don't need those meds.

That, my friend, is diamond eye.

It is a common problem in bettas with thick iridescent scaling.

To Cure: You need to add a banana leaf to his tank. Here is a link to one, but some people on this forum might be able to offer a better deal for you if they see this post.
Amy's 50 Sprigs of Dried Banana Leaves Betta Fish Indian Almond Substitute | eBay

Edit: though it is strange to me that it is in one eye. Might consider any second opinions offered on that.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reading about diamond eye online, a lot of people say it's like a scale that covers the eye and his isn't like that. Still could be it? He also doesn't eat much and gets scared very easily if he sees me staring at him (not sure if he can see from the bad eye?)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Only one eye is effected? Can he see out of the other one?
It looks swollen, I'm thinking it looks like an injury. I think clean warm water, plenty of cover and high quality food might be what he needs. He may be having trouble seeing to eat. Poor guy. I would try to get him to take a good quality floating pellet like New Life Spectrum or Omega One. Feed in the same area and maybe float them on his good side. Or put a bit of food in and move away for 10 minutes, then go see if he found it. Bettas can go a week without food and not be badly harmed, but he does need to eat quality foods to heal.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That one eye is the worst but the other doesn't seem perfect. He loves to hang out on the very top and rest, especially now right next to the heater that I just bought. I will try floating foods again and I'll put them in the same place. He does have a very hard time finding the food on the bottom. I think he eats sometimes but I also see him spit food out. He also gets spooked VERY easily. If I come up to the tank and watch him, he'll notice after awhile and swim really fast away :( no idea if he can see with that eye though

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You have some betta spa treatment (that you used for your other betta), you could use it with this little guy too.

Does his left eye look a little cloudy too? I am not sure if that bad eye is a result from a possible injury or if it started as an infection.

Did you do any medicinal treatment on him of any sort?

You could soak his pellets in a bit of garlic juice. Just crush a little garlic, add it to a little container with tankwater and soak his food in it. Garlic is an immune-booster.

You could also look into Epsom Salt treatment for pop-eye, but to be honest, I am not sure if this is the way you should go. If it is in fact an infection, you will want to treat it with medication asap since he possibly may have already lost one eye to it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok I will put the spa in right now. His left eye isn't too bad but isn't perfect

his bad eye looks a bit better since I added a filter (there's now some sort of change in the middle), I know he can see because he will chase falling bloodowrms, He will only eat if they are sinking or on the floor.

The only treatment I tried was the fungal treatment but nothing happened (only gave I think 2 treatments).

The Omega One pellets are with garlic and he spits them right out, I even cut one in pieces just in case they were too big and nothing. He will only eat frozen bloodworms. I was told on another page to not feed him for a few days and then try again, but I can try dipping it in garlic too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts