Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Today's update after first 25% water change yesterday (and adding back 25% of salt); he shows no improvement and his condition has worsened further. He lays on the bottom on his side and only moves to swim up for air before floating back down to the bottom. No reaction to me moving my hands around the tub to get his attention, not even in fear or skittishness. Unfortunately I don't think he'll bounce back from this. If he does pass, I'm hoping if I describe his symptoms here maybe his condition could be figured out. I don't mean to sound like I'm replacing him already, but I just want to make sure my tank will be safe for any fish in the future. Still staying hopeful though, I'm not giving up on him. (y)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

We plan to euthanize him with clove oil tomorrow. He's suffering beyond help at this point. Right now I just want to try and get some ideas on what made him suffer this much and what the possible cause was. (25% water changes and replacing the appropriate amount of salt have been done up until tonight since we plan to euthanize him tomorrow.)

Saturday April 3rd: Mom noticed he was acting funny when she went down to see him, but I disagreed seeing he was normal to me.

Sunday April 4th: Now I noticed he was a bit slower but again thought he was just adjusting to the water change I did on Saturday.

Monday April 5th: Noticed him laying down and only swimming for air. He was unresponsive to human hands/people near the glass so at that point I knew something was wrong. He was put into the hospital tank with salt that night.

Tuesday April 6th: No improvement

Wednesday April 7th: Labored breathing and struggling to swim up for air. Now laying on his side whenever he floats back down. He basically looked dead until you saw his gills moving.

Thursday April 8th: No improvement, noticed tears/holes in his fins now.

Friday April 9th: No improvement

Saturday April 10th: No improvement, hole/tears in fins growing. Now noticed a bump on the top of his head. Looks white but not fuzzy (inconsistent with Columnaris or a Fungal infection).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only changes in the tank lately there had been was an increase in liquid fertilizer dosage (Tropica brand). There were some minor swings of PH from 8.2 - 7.8 (I believe due to that), but my Amano shrimp never showed any distress so I believe it wasn't severe since they would have been the first "warning system". (I called someone to confirm this).

If anybody has any ideas on what he contracted please let me know, and also if you think I should gut/completely start over my tank if it's not safe, if this was indeed a water born virus/bacteria/fungus etc.

·
Super Moderator
21,920 Posts
How long has he been in the Aquarium Salt? From everything I've read in the one tablespoon per five gallons should go on for no more than four or five days without taking a 2-3 day break. I'll try to find the information.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
How long has he been in the Aquarium Salt? From everything I've read in the one tablespoon per five gallons should go on for no more than four or five days without taking a 2-3 day break. I'll try to find the information.
He's been in the salt/hospital tank since Monday April 5th. I didn't know there was a time limit to how long he could be in salt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh no, Maverick. ;-; I'm so sorry. He was a beautiful fish and you gave him a good life; may he swim in peace.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts