Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just cleaned my fishes tank and I checked in on him and his eyes are clouded and seem to be a bit buldged out?!
I did not use any soaps, only warm water to clean his tank. I replaced the water around 40% of old water with new water (was let to sit in the room for 24 hours), gradually introduced the new water to my fish, then let him loose in his new crib.

I use Aqueon Leafy Green for the live plants in his tank (6), Aqueon Algae Remover (3 drops), and Tetra AquaSafe.

This has never happened to him before and I hate seeing my little boy like this! Please if anyone knows of why this is happening/ how I can help him would be so so appreciated!

Housing:
3.7 Gallon tank
Large filter system
Not heated but the room we house him in is in the 80's, working on getting him a heater.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? - no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? - no take mates

Food:
What food brand do you use? - Fluval Bug Bites
Do you feed flakes or pellets? - Small flakes
Freeze-dried? - not yet
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? - once a day, just a small shake.

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? - Once or twice a week.
What percentage of water did you change? 1- 0/25%
What is the source of your water? - Tap through a brita filter.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? - Vacuum
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? - Aqueon Leafy Green for the live plants in his tank (6), Aqueon Algae Remover (3 drops), and Tetra AquaSafe

Water Parameters:
- I do not know the water parameters. Waiting for my partner to return home so I can drive to get a test kit -

What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? - An hour after I changed the tank
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? - Clouded eyes and tip of mouth. Eyes slightly buldging.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? - Not too much, he still greets me and is swimming through his plants.
Is your Betta still eating? - Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? - No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? - No
How long have you owned your Betta? - 3 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? - no

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you tried another water change? Maybe another 25% water change. I tried the tetra water conditioner drops but noticed my ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites reduce by 50% with the Seachem prime. Hope he gets better soon! (Hopefully someone more knowledgeable comes along to advise)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Have there been any changes since you posted?

Cloudy eyes usually have two main causes: a physical injury, or a bacterial infection.

Bacterial infections usually crop up in poor water conditions, but it sounds like you are taking care of his tank. Pop-eye also, as the name suggests, usually shows up as an internal infection that causes the eyes to swell out of the head. Your betta's eyes look a normal size to me, but if you are still concerned then taking a picture from directly over him is usually the best way to evaluate eye swelling.

Physical damage is exactly what it sounds like- he scraped the outer layer of his eyes a bit, probably by sticking his nose into a hole in the decor that was a little too small. Scrapes like this usually heal without lasting damage if they don't get infected, the bigger concern is trying to figure out where he scraped himself and making sure it's safe.

As a general note, there's really no need to run your water through the Britta filter. As long as your tap water is safe for you to drink (even if you don't like the taste), it's usually safe for bettas.

And you don't need to leave your water out to "age" either. That practice is based on old advice from back when water companies used Chlorine to disinfect tap water, and instead of using a conditioner fishkeepers could let the Chlorine evaporate out over a day or two. That's no longer the case- many water treatment plants use Chloramine now which does not evaporate but needs to be removed with a conditioner.

And in any case, you are already adding a conditioner and they work in seconds, no waiting needed. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts