Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am currently in the process of re-doing my 10 gallon, which was previously being used as a tetra tank. I am still in the process of deciding what fish I want to put in it...but I have a few substrate questions:
-Right now, the tank has sand and is filled with water
-It has been sitting like this for several days
-It's been several days, but is still very cloudy
-I was EXTREMELY thorough when I washed it
-What do I do? I plan on putting the fish in on Saturday, so I need to know if there is any way to fix the cloudiness? Thanks!

P.S this is my first time working with a sand substrate, so do you have any tips on vacuuming?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the filter is off, and I washed the sand for about 15 minutes before I put it in. I didn't realize it could take as long as nine days for it to settle! I thought a day at most, thank you for the response!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much everyone! There is pretty much 0 smell, so (thankfully) no bacteria bloom! The water is actually MUCH better now...so next time I'll just rinse the sand for even longer...*sigh*
Honestly, I might just give up on sand and re-do it in a few months :/
Anyways, I cleared the water up by vacuuming ALL of the water out into a bucket until there was only wet sand left in the tank. Then I added the water back in using a reverse sort of vacuum, where I put the end tube inside the tank, and the "sucking" device in the bucket, so that the water slowly went back into the tank. It took maybe six hours, but the water is very clear now. Thank you everybody! Hopefully a fish will have a new 10 gallon home by Monday! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.