Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a 25% water change on Thursday and ever since the next day the water has been a little cloudy. Athena seems to be behaving normally, swimming around happily, eating well, so I can't really tell if there may be something wrong with the water. Is it normal for tank water to be a bit cloudy after a w/c? Will it go away or do I need to treat the water?

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
What size tank? Are you running a filter? Are you cycling the tank?

If it's evenly cloudy and not just dirt or debris, you might have a bacterial bloom. Increase aeration. Don't use chemicals. It should go away.

Cycling the tank will keep it away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What size tank? Are you running a filter? Are you cycling the tank?

If it's evenly cloudy and not just dirt or debris, you might have a bacterial bloom. Increase aeration. Don't use chemicals. It should go away.

Cycling the tank will keep it away.
It's a 1g tank with a filter but no aeration. Is surface agitation something that might help get rid of it? And I'm not exactly sure what cycling the tank means, so I guess that's a no?

·
Reference Team
7,703 Posts
More surface agitation will increase aeration. That's a good idea.

When you upgrade to a larger tank, you will be able to develop a "nitrogen cycle" which will provide the best water quality for your fish. There are cycling stickies in the "Betta Bowls..." section of the forum. And this one: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/...ssories/cycling-two-sentence-tutorial-506714/

In the mean time, 2 or 3 x 50% changes per week with a 2-drop dose of Prime every day would be a favor for your fish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts