Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in love with my 20 gallon long planted betta/community tank. It's thriving and I'm striving to add more plants.
I have heard a little bit about CO2 and the flourishing of plants.
Theres a bit I'm confused on.
1) I'm not using any fertilizers, which I'm interested in
2) I know my fish produce CO2 for the plants

Heres the tricky part for me, when do you start to need to add fertilizers and CO2? How do you know how much to be adding?

I feel like theres probably already a thread about this, but I couldn't find one.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well, it all depends on you and the types of plants that you want in your tank. Co2 always helps as it's one of the things that plants need to photosynthesize (besides light and water). Also, some plants don't do well unless there are Co2 injections in the tank.

I only use seachem flourish so I can only say so much. Honestly, didn't really need to dose my plants but it really helps them grow a lot better and faster than they did when I didn't use anything. I would say that if you feel that you're plants aren't growing to their full potential. Then it might be time for you to use ferts.

Still a newb, so that's the best I got LOL

·
Super Moderator
19,454 Posts
Whether you need CO2 is as mentioned above: The types of plants you have. There are many, many plants that do not need CO2. Those needing it are generally labeled "High Maintenance" or something along those lines. Those needing CO2 usually need high light, too.

I have low-medium plants. Don't use CO2 but I do add Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and I add root and Iron tabs to the substrate. Root tabs are a general fertilizer and the Iron is for Swords and red plants.

This is a site for a company that raises and sells plants but it is full of great information:
http://tropica.com/en

1 - 3 of 3 Posts