Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow is water change day for my un-cycled tanks so I had to prepare the water today (I like to age and heat my new water).
There was about a galon of water left from my last water change in the tub I use and I had to dip my hand to clean the tub as it can get a bit slimy after a few days.
As I totally froze my hand with the cold water in there I thought about all those poor bettas around the world who go day after day without a heater... it's just so cold!

Anyway, sorry for the random thought... I rarely do this :shock:

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
In the middle of what was a rather cold winter for us, I left the heater off overnight in my male's tank. I wondered why he was very lethargic, and when I put my hand in realised the water was only around 55 degrees Fahrenheit.

It's no wonder so many people think bettas are boring fish. I would be pretty boring too if I was half-frozen.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
It's no wonder so many people think bettas are boring fish. I would be pretty boring too if I was half-frozen.

Ditto :(
People who come over to my apartment are always amazed on how active and cute my bettas are compared to the ones they have had.... all I can say is clean water, room to swim... and a HEATER <--- they do WONDERS

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
haha I agree... cannot be much fun if you're half frozen. I noticed, the tank upstairs was at 70 degrees... :shock: I put a heater in it now... Shiloh is in that tank, and El Dorado already had a heater >< but in my room... an unheated bin is 76-77. =D the humidity is nice in my room LOL.

(darn canadian winters...)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh man, This guy at the pet store told me - 'Bettas don't really NEED heaters' and "They don't really need big tanks either" His reasoning was because they don't move much anyway.
I was like uhm yeah because they're freezing and can barely turn around without running into a plastic wall of their little cup... -.- Ugh and these guys are suppose to know what they're talking about...

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have never met a fish store worker who knows what they are talking about especially to bettas. The following is a conversation between a customer and a salesman that I witnessed:

Customer: My betta that is in my community tank had his fins nipped by the other fish. Will his tail grow back?

Salesman: Um, I don't know.

Salesman says this an aisle away from the fish meds. And scary enough the salesman tells me later that he owns a betta.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It may be because I have lived in California for almost seven years now, but I can hardly remember a time when water in room temperature was frigid cold. Even the heater I purchased for my betta's 10gall is just lying dormant inside a box because I have no need for it... The tank by itself maintains a firm 82 degrees Fahrenheit. o_O I was actually pretty shocked (and I am also the one who made the mistake of purchasing a heater before a thermometer--tskk) that despite being in California the water temp inside a room can be so... high. Though I guess it's because my parents always have the heater on. xD

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
:lol: I'm in Canada... winter here, sucks =D
Before I was renting a room, and used a room heater because they left the temperature of the house at 64... so my room (in the basement) had a vent on the roof (dumbest. design. ever.) aaand my room was about 60. :| So, I needed heaters :lol:

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
:lol: I let my room get stifling hot for them. I threatened people who'd come over and complain that my room was basically a jungle that I WOULD get jungle plants. and then if you entered my room all you're going to see is plants, plants, fish, and a snake or two :lol:

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
:lol: that's about right!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts