Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry: So I just moved into college and the only thing we are allowed to have in the dorm is a fish. My roommate and I got a betta (named Rodger) and we absolutely love him! The only problem is that the water goes from adequately warm to freezing in about three hours-- we are assuming that it is the insane A/C in the building. We are running out of water conditioner left and right because we are constantly having to switch out his water from cold to warm (gradually, so as not to shock him). Can someone please help on an easier way to control his water temperature??

·
Registered
202 Posts
Buy an adjustable heater. You can get one for about 25$. If you and your roommate are sharing the betta you could split the cost.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
A betta needs a heater. no exceptions. They are tropical fish. They need water that is warm but also holding a stable temperature that is 78-82 degrees. Actually what you are doing by constantly having the temperature fluctuate is not good for him.

If you dorm will not allow you to have a heater (when i was in college my dorms did not allow me to have a heater) then you need to return him or rehome him.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm not sure how different colleges are, but my colleges had no restrictions on heaters. And not really advocating breaking the rules, but my friend kept 2 rats in college for all 4 years (against the rules) and never got in trouble. They never had anyone check the rooms or anything.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
my college check the rooms unannounced and did it quite often as well. We were not given warnings and often it done during the day when most people were in classes. My school considered heaters a fire hazard which is why we couldnt have them.

·
Registered
639 Posts
A betta needs a heater. no exceptions. They are tropical fish. They need water that is warm but also holding a stable temperature that is 78-82 degrees. Actually what you are doing by constantly having the temperature fluctuate is not good for him.

If you dorm will not allow you to have a heater (when i was in college my dorms did not all me to have a heater) then you need to return him or rehome him.
+1 Vivian. Heaters are essential for all tropicals, including hardy fish like Bettas. While they may be a little more forgiving than most (hence the reason pet stores often give out incorrect advice such as them not requiring a heater), it will eventually cause stress and illness in all tropical fish to constantly battle with fluctuating temperatures.

If your college won't allow you to have a heater, there is absolutely no shame and nothing wrong with returning the fish and explaining that at this time you are unable to give him quite the right environment he needs to be healthy and happy. It's the responsible thing any of us would do in the same situation. Then you can get to work on writing a letter to whomever is in charge of having pets in your dorms and ask for them to include heaters on their acceptable list, since most fish able to live in a tank of a size suitable for a dorm room will be tropicals and therefore need a heater :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts