Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,

I need a little help with my betta Mr Fancy Pants. I had him a little over a year now and never had major problems. However, I had to be over seas for 4 months and I did had to leave him with a friend who did try to look after him to her best abilities I honestly believe. Still I know she had to deal with fin rot and, I understand from what she described, also a minor fungal infection. I now have him since Saturday afternoon (it is now Tuesday afternoon) and although I have been treating him I haven't seen any improvement to the top fin. So I would appreciate if you could please have a look at the form I have filled in and the photos I have attached and give me some feedback as to what is happening?

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? Normally he is in 12L (a little over 3 gallons I believe) but since Saturday he is in either 1 gallon or 0,75 gallon hospital container with %100 water changes every 24 hrs
Does it have a filter? Yes he normally does, since Saturday no
Does it have a heater? Yes he normally does, but it is now summer here so he doesn't need it it's above 20-25 degrees everyday
What temperature is your tank? -
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Nope
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? he has his 3 marimo balls

Food:
What food brand do you use? I alternate between dried blood worms, Hikari betta bio-gold and Sera bettagran -he loves all three
Do you feed flakes or pellets? he doesn't eat flakes
Freeze-dried? Yes
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? I believe he was fed twice daily for the past 4 months and he was either given 3-5 dried worms or 3-5 hikari pellets. However now I do feed him more frequently as I hope to speed up his recovery, I feed him 3-5 worms or pallets (these are very small btw) 3 times a day, I keep an eye on the belly and how much he poops.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? I used to change 1/3 of the water 7-10 days. But I don't know how often he had water changes for the past 4 months
What percentage of water did you change? above
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I used to vacuum substrate every month or every 3 weeks.
What additives do you use? I use API stress coat and if I think he has a bit of fin rot I use AQ salt but not always as I am scared of getting salt resistant infections.

Water Parameters:
I do 24 hr water changes atm, if you think this is necessary I will check and report but I think with the frequent changes it is rather unnecessary.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? I got him on Saturday.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? The top fin had discoloration, whitish/grayish, it doesn't look fuzzy to me by the way. Also he is recovering from fin rot on his tail, with some translucent new growth.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Hasn't changed much, I sometimes think he acts stressed and sometimes I feel like he is lethargic but I think I am being a little paranoid.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes, three times a day, no appetite loss, no problem pooping.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Yes, he is in quarantine with half of an IAL and daily 100% water changes. Also, on Saturday I made a AQ salt bath (2 measuring spoons salt per 1 gallon) and he stays in the bath for 10-15 mins every other day (I throw out the bath water after use and use fresh each time), he has no problems being in the bath, doesn't seem stressed. I also did treat him on Saturday night with BluePlanet Multucure (Active ingredients: Malachite green, Methylene Blue, Acriflavine) I dosed as instructed and covered the quarantine tank with a black cloth as I have read somewhere lights make the Malachite Green ineffective. He stayed in until morning 8-10 hrs.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? He usually gets a little fin rot and I treat with AQ salt. Once he had a little white dot and I did the multicure for one night, next morning there was no dot.
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? He is not a resque, I got it from a very animal friendly petshop, you wouldn't believe, and he was healthy like all the other bettas there pretty much and I had him a little over a year I think now.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
He looks like my guy, also a CT, who's also having a little fin rot problem :( I hope he gets better! maybe it missed you in that 4 month trip. I'm not sure what's the problem though. Is he doing better with the 100% changes? Isn't it a bit too much?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Leafletbloom, thanks for your response... I haven't seen any changes to his fins :( I will keep doing 100% changes until the weekend. I am doing a mini cycle on the tank anyways, the tank will be ready early next week. So he will be back in the tank next week with mini water changes and observation I guess :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts