Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current male halfmoon Cole is a turquoise dragon with butterfly markings.

He came from a breeder in Florida.

Myra, my female halfmoon came from a breeder in Thailand.

She's emerald green with red and blue markings. She also has gold markings around her gills.

As far as eye color goes, Cole is parti-eyed, one is half blue, half gold and the other is solid gold.

Myra's eyes are yellow.

If they do have offspring what colors would I end up with?

I've read both dragon and butterfly markings are dominant genes.

Keep in mind, I got both my fish from aquarium stores who buy their bettas from breeders. Myra is more skittish in terms of personality and Cole is more relaxed and not all that aggressive.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Pictures would help us better determine since just saying "turquoise and red with some blue" doesn't exactly help since it could be a specific pattern or not lol.

Just as a reference, Turquoise fish cannot be Dragon's, yes he has thick scales but that just makes him a Metallic Turquoise. I have a post on Dragons here but my first post is partly wrong so read this section for my correction.

The eyes won't make a difference with the coloration of the fish.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I see. Reason why I mentioned eye color is I don't know what the fry will end up having.

I'll upload some photos but this male is similar to how mine looks in terms of color. I guess the reason I figured he was turquoise was because of the photos I found on google and how the markings were described.

Anyway, here's the betta he sort of resembles.

http://happybettas.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/happy1.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,379 Posts
I'm not sure what the female looks like but
Drgn x non drgn = non drgn, partial drgn, and metallic.

Color should be turquoise - green; some may be brighter than others. Some will have red wash (depending on how much red the female has) and some will have black like the male.

Pattern - you will get a handful of butterflies

I'm not sure about eye colors. I never pay attention to them. And like lil said, eye color has nothing to do with scaling.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Turquoise is just the color of him, the blue-green scales and finnage. Patterns come in when there are markings that make a certain look like the Butterfly which is a white band that goes all the way around the fishes fins evenly. So you could have a Blue Butterfly which means the fishes body and beginning of the tail are blue and then the outlining band is white/clear. Like the boy you posted the picture of, if his anal fin was all black with the white band on the outside like he has on his other fins he would be considered a Metallic (for thick scales) Turquoise Black (color) Butterfly (pattern), make a little more sense?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turquoise is just the color of him, the blue-green scales and finnage. Patterns come in when there are markings that make a certain look like the Butterfly which is a white band that goes all the way around the fishes fins evenly. So you could have a Blue Butterfly which means the fishes body and beginning of the tail are blue and then the outlining band is white/clear. Like the boy you posted the picture of, if his anal fin was all black with the white band on the outside like he has on his other fins he would be considered a Metallic (for thick scales) Turquoise Black (color) Butterfly (pattern), make a little more sense?
Thanks, I'll post a photo. His anal fin is mostly white with a few traces of black and blue.

Maybe you could answer my other thread. I've never bred bettas before so I would really appreciate some help:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=393578

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
indjo would have better insight on that thread than I would ;-) I haven't actually bred my Bettas yet although we are planning soon!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, made one mistake about my female's eyes. They were yellow when I first got her now they're amber colored.

I'm assuming it's normal since I've seen bettas that are few weeks old that start off looking a certain way then they change as they get older, much like any other baby animal.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yep that's pretty normal, happens with humans too. Kids that start out with blonde or dirty blonde hair and then it gets darker as it grows up.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
....what as that for?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts