Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, :-D I'm new to this forum and also pretty new to proper fish keeping. Note that I said "proper".

Anyways, I've had a male fighter for about 3-4 days and most of the time he looks perfectly fine and happy. :lol: However, sometimes he turns a pale pinkish-purplish colour instead of his usual beautiful, strong turquoise. :-? But this keeps changing every couple of hours. Right now Gorgeous is a rich blue, swimming in the nooks and crannies of his new 20L (or roughly 5 gallons, for those American people) tank, not filtered but heated up to 26*C. He doesn't like the filter so I don't put it in. Not long before he lived in a 4.5L (AKA 1.5 gallons) tank with no heater, and he was slightly pale. When he first got into his new home, he was very pale. :-( I'm just worried if it's a parasite or sickness. Thanks! :)

EDIT: It 's probably stress or a slight shock, but I'm just asking...

·
Registered
337 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum :)

It's most likely stress from moving into a new home. When I had to do 100% water changes in my old 3.7 litre tank, my betta would turn very pale for the first few hours after being re-introduced as well. Just keep an eye out for any unusual behaviour, such as ragged fins or rubbing himself on decorations. Your betta was slightly pale in his old tank because it had no heater and he was feeling a bit cold, most likely.

You might want to bump the temperature up to 26.5/27 degrees if your heater is adjustable, as that temp is even more comfortable for bettas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
I'll keep it on 27 degrees from now on
I'm pretty sure he'll calm down soon

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha yep :)