Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My otherwise normal (active, eating, responds to attention) betta has developed 2 prominant 'dusty' looking white spots, one on each side of his belly (see attached). I am wondering if it is columnaris and I should treat it as such (w/Maracyn II or Furan) or if I should just do a %100 water change and add AQ salt first to see if it clears up. Opinions?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
His belly isn't bloated. Hard to differentiate between dusty/fuzzy. It looks like the sort of thing that one just wants to reach in and wipe it off. It's as though he had brushed against a patch of dust/dry dirt. (Of course, I wouldn't actually do that and there is no dust in the tank). Perhaps it is just a fungus which may clear with a water change and AQ salt added?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Well too me there is a difference between dusty & fuzzy, my tables are dusty but my angora sweater is fuzzy. In any case, aq salt may be all thats needed with an increased water change schedule. We might be able to better help if you can answer the following questions:

Tank Size?
How long has the tank been set up?
Filtered?
Heated?
Water Temp?
Tank mates; what kind & how many of each?
Brand of food(s), type, how much & how often fed?
Water change schedule?
How much water is changed?
When was the last water change & how much water was changed?
Brand of water conditioner?
Do you add anything other than water conditioner to the water; if so what?
Water test results for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates & Ph?
Treatments already given?
Describe current appearance & behavior of fish.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Is it actually a raised patch that appears to have texture, or is it just color that gradually fades into his normal coloring? Could he just be marbling? Are the spots symmetrical, or do they connect under his belly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the replies.

The tank is the Aqueon 1 Gallon Mini Bow. It appears to be working well for him and he doesnt appear to have any issues with the filter that came with it.

The tank has been up for about 2 months. The last full clean/change was only about a week ago (so I know it is due). The one thing that has been different in the last week is that we went away for 4 days so I had put one of those 7 day small fish shaped feeders in to feed him while we were gone. There didnt appear to be any of it left when we came home.

The tank is not currently heated and I dont have a thermometer in it. That is being remedied shortly as I have purchased both items for the tank.

No other fish in the tank. There is on small plastic plant in the tank which is being replaced with a smaller silk plant. There is a small castle with holes cut through it that he seems to enjoy swimming through and hiding out in. The gravel is a multi color fluorescent gravel.

The cleaning routine is prepping another container with properly prepared water and moving him to it. Then removing all items/gravel from tank, then rinsing the tank, all items and gravel in nothing but hot water and wiping dry. Items are then put back into tank, properly prepared water is put in tank and he is returned to the tank. To date, this seems to work decently.

Food is Hikari Betta Bio Gold. 3-5 pellets in the morning (about 7am) and another 3-5 pellets at night (about 6:30pm)

Water conditioner is Splendid Betta Complete Water Conditioner

Nothing else has been added to the water. No treatments have been given.

I don't have PH measurements.

There hasn't been any change in behavior. His activity is the same as it has always been (appears to be a healthy active), always responds when someone approaches the tank, Eats when fed without issue. Swims about frequently (but not frantically), flares fins and generally looks nice.

This is how things were as of this morning when I left for work. I have purchased another tank, heater, thermometer, gravel and setup to prepare and also some AQ salt to add to this new setup. My plan is to prepare it tonight, let it sit over night and then move him to it tomorrow; unless he looks/acts remarkably worse when I get home tonight.

The white spots/blotches, which going by the distinction listed, are more 'dusty' appearing than 'fuzzy', appear almost symmetrical on both sides of the belly, as in the picture (that white spot in the picture which looks like it could be a 'reflection' is actually one of the spots I am talking about).

Thanks again for the assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.