Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased five guppies about two weeks ago form a local petco know for pretty decent fish. The guppies were quarantined for a week before I put them in a ten gallon with my betta.
This morning I was watching one of the females, who is swimming a bit different then the others and seems smaller and thinner then the others. She wiggles more when she swims, and is smaller then the others, but other then that she is fine. her colors are perfect, she is acting fine and I think she is eating. I sorta freaked a little because I’m not sure if she’s okay. If she gets sick and my betta, Sam gets sick, I don’t know what I’d do.:-(

I think she’s okay, but I’m not sure. Should I take her out?

sorry if this thread is in the wrong place. wasn’t sure were it should go...

Thanks!

· Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, she is shimmying. that what she is doing. I did a 25% water change and added two tablespoons of API aquarium salt.
Can I fill out the form tomorow? I have to get off the computer. I will update tomorrow and let you know how she is doing about about the rest of the fish.

Thanks Russell!

· Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? ten gallons
What temperature is your tank? it says 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes, tetra whsiper PF ten
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? nope. I am thinking about getting a bubble thing, IDK if thats relevant though...
Is your tank heated? I am using the heater that came with my old 3.5 gallon. So far its been keeping the water at a okay temp..
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? I have five guppies and Sam in there. Nothing else.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I feed the guppies tropical flakes and freeze-dried bloodwroms. Sam eats the bloodworms and his betta pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day for everyone

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once or twince a week I do a 25% water change.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:--Didn’t have the strip
Nitrite: back at zero
Nitrate: zero
pH: netural
Hardness: soft--Is that the problem? I read guppies like barder water.
Alkalinity: low to moderate.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? All the fish look fine except the one female had clampped fins last night. Today they were better.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? The one guppie started shimmying a little.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I put in two tablespoons of API aquarium salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Sam has had finrot and some mysterious sickness, but that was a while ago.
How old is your fish (approximately)? The guppy I am concerned about is proably around 6 months.

I think it might’ve been water quality, some how. I havn’t been bugging that female. Is shimmying contagious to the other fish?

· Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I think she is a little better today, so hopefully the salt will correct it.

· Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today the female is a little better, but seemed to have a relapse compaired to yesterday. So far none of the other fish have gotten it, so I’m assuming it can’t be contagious.

· Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think thats it. I read over the artical twice and tested my water and its soft and the pH is probably too low. Any tips on getting it higher??? I don’t know how.
Do betta like harder water?

· Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm. I’ll have to look inot it. Woulld it be best to leave it alone as have the guppies gradually adjust to it?

· Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
would a calcium-based rock help?

· Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay. Hopefully the guppies will adjust adn do okay in it. Sam seems to be fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.