Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have a few questions that I would like answered here, and would rather not have to scour the Internet for opposing answers. My tanks are not small, but they are not massive, either. I do not have the measures, because I have been sick, and do not want to stress them out or risk dropping the tanks.
1. How can you tell if a Betta is sleeping, or if the ammonia levels are high?
2. What does it mean when a Betta spends time at the top or bottom of the tank? Not laying, but just staying still, breathing fine, pectorals moving? Are they just interested in something, or is something wrong?
3. What is the ideal Betta water temperature?
4. Is there something I can put in the water to help increase the amount of oxygen, without getting a filter? I have had some bad filter experience.
5. If I get a small tank snail, will the Betta attack it, or become discouraged because it cannot scare it off?
6. When Betta's gills move slowly, are they in a state of rest, even with their pectorals moving and them darting around, or are they in a search for oxygen?
I know I may seem like an idiot, but these two Bettas were beautiful, and I wouldn't let them stay at the pet store, and end up floating at the top of a tiny cup, like some of the others were.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
1. How can you tell if a Betta is sleeping, or if the ammonia levels are high?
My betta rests on the bottom of the tank. He just looks like he is sleeping. (He refuses to use the hammock I got him.)

The only way to get an ammonia reading is by using a liquid test kit. Paper strips are ok in a pinch, but should never be relied upon on a regular basis.

2. What does it mean when a Betta spends time at the top or bottom of the tank? Not laying, but just staying still, breathing fine, pectorals moving? Are they just interested in something, or is something wrong?
Sometimes Mal does this. I feel like he is waiting for me to come say hello to him, so when I see him look like he's daydreaming (I know he isn't, just using that as a descriptive) I walk over to the tank and he comes right to the glass.

3. What is the ideal Betta water temperature?
Between 76F to 86F. I have mine at around 83 or 84F.

4. Is there something I can put in the water to help increase the amount of oxygen, without getting a filter? I have had some bad filter experience.
Betta go to the surface to get air. They do not get it from the water column. But you need to have a filter in order to have a nitrogen cycle. No cycle means nothing is taking care of the ammonia, so you have to do almost daily water changes. With a filter where you have a healthy nitrogen cycle you should only need to do a water change once a week.

5. If I get a small tank snail, will the Betta attack it, or become discouraged because it cannot scare it off?
That depends on the betta. Each betta is different... some won't allow anything in their tank, and others are so laid back that they'll invite a whole block party with a keg of beer into the tank.

6. When Betta's gills move slowly, are they in a state of rest, even with their pectorals moving and them darting around, or are they in a search for oxygen?
Betta have what is called a labyrinth organ. They use this to get air from above the waters surface, so when you see them going up to the top of the water, they're getting air. They breath the same air as you and I.

Take a look at the following article. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabantoidei

1 - 2 of 2 Posts