Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I'm a relatively new betta owner, I've had Thomas for a little over 3 weeks, initially in a .5 gallon cube from petco, now I've learned the error of my ways and have had him in a 2.5 gallon tank for the past 2 weeks.

I am concerned that there has been some deterioration of his fins. One of his fins have been curled a bit from the start, but last night I noticed that there seemed to be a tear, a little bit of shredding as well. They just look "different" from when I first got him. I've included pictures, and I tried to indicate with arrows where I believe his fins have split apart. There has also been a small white patch over his nose (also since the beginning)which doesn't seem to fit characteristics of ich? It hasn't grown, or changed, is it just part of him?
Violet Purple Glasses Magenta Bait

Organism Tail Fish

Hair Pink Purple Hairstyle Hair coloring

Since getting Thomas, he has had 100% filtered water changes weekly, with a heater keeping his tank at approx. 80 degrees. I have been treating water with AQUON betta plus with each water change, and yesterday when changing the water added a bit of aquarium salt. (1/2 tablespoon, for 2.5 gallons) There was one silk plant which I have since removed, as I am concerned it may have been the source of the tear. Thomas does have a plastic hammock leaf, and have purchased anubias and anacharis live plants to replace silk plants.

He is an active little guy, eats 2-3 pellets once a day and does not seem constipated, he is engaging and playful and other than my concerns with his fins, seems alright.

I am not sure exactly how concerned I should be with the slight change in his fins, and if there are additional measures that I should take. Any input would be greatly appreciated! While concerned with his fin, should I do an additional 50% water change during the week?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Some rocks, no fish friends

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1x day 2-3 pellets

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1x weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? AQUEON betta bowl plus, aquarium salt 1/2 tablespoon

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Use brita filtered water, have not tested as of yet

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Slight change in fins, shredding, tear present
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Same
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Past 2 days
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Aquarium salt, immediate 100% water change and removal of silk plants
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not sure
How old is your fish (approximately)? not sure

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.