Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bred my betta, Splash, and the little stinker ate all the eggs 馃槕. I need to retry now before it starts to get cold do im hoping to breed them in a separate container and artifically hatch them. Since he ate the eggs and I started reconditioning the next day, can I cut the conditioning period down to 5 days if i enrich his diet alot? Ive been giving him the usual flakes in the morning along with frozen brine shrimp and mysis shrimp when I return home.

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
I think im going to attempt breeding agail today as both fish are starting to look pretty rounded. Ill keep an eye on the male and if he starts to eat the eggs ill take him out. Otherwise ill just leave yim be.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like im not gonna have time today so ill at least put them both in the tank tonight with the female separated and il release her after school tommorrow so I can monitor the whole process and make sure all goes well 馃檪

Super Moderator
If female wasn't beaten up in the first round, yes you could rebreed in 5 days. Usually veteran females will spawn within 24 hours. If both want to breed (flirt swim), you can immediately release female in late afternoon (1-2 hours before dark) and they should do the deed the following day. I suggest you schedule the spawn on a weekend so you can be there when they embrace.

Some egg eaters don't immediately devour eggs. But if you leave male with eggs, you will wake up to find eggs gone. I suggest you artificially hatch eggs as planned, instead of waiting to see if male actually eats eggs.

If they immediately eat eggs upon release, you need to place mesh under the nest so they can't get to the fallen eggs. I find these eggs harder to hatch. I'd rather leave them as they are and hope for the best (breed in new clean tub and water).

Good luck. And keep us posted

1 - 5 of 5 Posts