Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fish Fred has gotten a case of Fin rot. I've had him for about 2 weeks and I'm not sure exactly how to go about treating it or what caused it. I've read on the disease thread to change his water daily or use salt but I've read that there is a medication carried by petco called Bettafix which is said to be affective. I would like some advice. Another thing he did was I think he vomitted. Also, he is in a 1 gallon bowl with a heater, gravel, fake plant, and pirate decoration. I'm not sure if it is a good home for him or not. Please help me with my Finned Friend. Thanks

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Okay lets get to business.
To CURE Fin Rot you have to do 30% water changes daily, until regrowth is shown.You have to add Aquarium Salt, also known as AQ. It is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. In every water change add the right amount of salt the same as the amount of water you took out.
IMO you should upgrade your tank to at LEAST 2.5 gallons. 3 gallons and up they would thrive.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
A 1 gallon bowl is fine provided with 1 50% water change and 1 100% water change weekly

Fin Rot Information

Symptoms

-Ripped tails, bloodshot, black edged, or has a fuzzy white appearance in the edge
-The Betta will become unusually inactive
-Won't eat
-Looks pale, and looses lots of color

Causes
This profilic disease is caused by stressful water conditions primarily but here are a few main examples of the conditions it is most likely found in

-Poor water quality with unacceptable amounts of ammonia, along with nitrites and nitrates
-Nippy tankmates
-Incompatible tankmates
-Tailbiting
-Plastic plants ripping fins constantly
-Over feeding
-Over crowding
-Sometimes after a disease, while the bettas immune system is low it can strike unexpectedly

Treatment

This disease is most commonly treated with mainly

-daily water changes of around 25-50 so more diseases dont settle in while the Betta is vulnerable
-a high quality fin rot treatment. Use tetracycline or Ampicillin for the best possible results

Prevention
-Keep the water clean
-don't over feed
-choose the right tankmates
-make sure that the bettas fins are always in the best shape
-keep the water heated
-change the water as needed

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
The best thing for fin rot is clean, warm water

I would suggest doing 100% daily water changes and increase AQ salt to 1 teaspoon per gallon, as per darkmoon's instructions:

Tail rot or fin rot
•Symptoms: Betta’s fins and/or tail seem to be getting shorter and shorter or they seem to be falling apart and dissolving, Black or red along the edge of the betta’s fins/tail, Bloody tips, Behavior may not change
Treatment: Conservative: Treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Add Stress Coat to help repair tissue. If there is little to no improvement within the first 5 days, you can increase the salt dosage gradually to 2tsp/gal but do not continue any salt treatments past 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth.
Are you sure its fin rot? Alot of times fin rot gets confused for tail bitting in which case as long as the betta is bitting the fins wont improve. D0 you have a picture of the fins?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts