Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are fluval filters made by different companies or something? I had two Aquaclear Fluval filters for my 55 gallon tank, and seriously, the WORST filters I have ever owned. They each leaked twice from overflowing, one started leaking from where the power cord hooks in, they get gunked up too fast, and when they're not overflowing there's hardly anything coming out.
So I got fed up and ordered a new filter online. It was a Fluval, which I didn't realize is what my other ones were. I just remembered Aquaclear and knew to STAY AWAY. So Fluval didn't ring a bell, and nothing on the box said "Aquaclear". So anyway, I got the Fluval C4. I could already see the difference in the design just by looking at it- so much better- both designed better and built more sturdily.
So I'm confused. The bottom of the box says it's made by a company called Hagen. The other one was Aquaclear. And the boxes for both filters look similar and the Aquaclear used the same media as the Fluval stuff (that didn't say Aquaclear on it).
I used to think it was the brand, then I thought it was the name of they type of filter, but now I'm confused.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Aquaclear recently became part of Fluval if I'm not mistaken. Most people love their Aquaclear filters, they get recommended quite frequently.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok... So is the new Fluval I bought something that was made before Aquaclear became a part of them? Because the bottom of the box says "Hagen" not "Aquaclear". I dunno. I could see a huge difference in the quality and a much better design (they are very similar, but the way the Hagen fluval works is a better design. It's for a larger capacity, though, so maybe the larger filter lends for a better design?
Yeah, it's weird because all I could find was great reviews for Aquaclear stuff, but I had two of them and they were both awful.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Personally I wouldn't be concerned about it so long as it works to my satisfaction. I've never owned an AC so I can't comment on them.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have a AC filter that is currently retired in favor of my Fluval 206 canister. The AC worked fine when it was in service except for having to prime after a WC.

Hagen is the umbrella company for AC and Fluval.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts